Laser Etch at Origin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lancemckenzieallied

Mechanical
Sep 19, 2023
US
Good afternoon all.

I am the engineer for a stainless company. We are having an issue with our laser. We have a Amada fo3015 4kw. When we load the DXFs into the machine it cuts a couple of letters at the origin every time: ruining the parts. We have just been moving the parts off the origin to fix this but it’s a lot of work. Just curious if there is a setting that can be turned off to prevent this rather than manually moving the parts in draftsight off the origin.

Also I am a complete novice when it comes to lasers. I’m a Solidworks guy not a laser guy. I’m posting for our shop. Thanks in advance for any help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How ironic, I'm pretty good with the laser stuff but not so great with the software.

I'm going to state some obvious stuff here mostly just to clarify.

Draftsight is drawing software, from what I gather. I assume you make either a dxf, or dwg to bring into your cam software. Not sure what you're using for that. Autodesk make a version that has both. I just heard of that for the first time this year... Regardless, in your cam software, I imagine you see your parts layout on the virtual sheet. The etching you mentioned has to be on there, I think. I would just delete that before running the post (generate g-code).

The letters that are etched, may be on a separate layer that you can "unselected" before running the post processer.

Finally, all etching is done on "E10" on Amada machines. It's the bottom line of the cutting condition page. You could just set the power to zero on that line and no hot stuff will come out of the nozzle. The head will just go through the motions.

Hey,

Try this out hope this will help!

It sounds like you might be experiencing issues with your laser cutter's origin point. To fix this, check if there's an option in your machine's settings to disable origin point cutting or make sure your DXF files have the correct origin point. This should prevent letters from being cut at the origin without manual adjustments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back