Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laser Purchase, who's been to the vendors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wakobav

Industrial
Jun 14, 2004
US
People may be biased because they have a brand or know someone who likes a make or model of 2D laser. Has anyone been to the plants of the big players? Mitsubishi, Amada, Cincinati, Trumpf? maybe all of them? What impressions did you get? We are an all Amada punch shop, only now venturing into the realm of the laser. I have no loyalty to Amada for a new technology in this plant. Only the best machine will do, regardless of manufacturer. Also please list why you purchased a particular brand, was it a Trumpf 5kw for thick plate? or a Cincinati for speed on thinner materials or did you just buy the brand because it was already in house?

I am interested in everyone's reason for purchasing a particuar brand.

PS. did anyone also purchase automation?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi wakobav

I bought my first laser about 1-1/2 ago. So many choices- what brand, what size table, how much power, what kind of resonator? Mine was a replacement for a punch plasma, so I stayed with the same size (4 x 8). I went with a 4kw for piercing quickly, and the ability to cut thicker material.
I went with the dc resonator, proven technology. It was ultimately a choice between Amada and Mazak for me. I was finally convinced The Mazak FMS would work best for me. I had to go with the 6 shelf model as I have only a 16' ceiling in the shop.

My machine runs about 4000 hours a year (about 16 hours a day) with about half that time being unattended at night. I am pleased with the FMS. The first night we had the machine after the installation was complete I left it running at night and it did fine.

Some thing from my experience that the salesman doesn't tell you:
Aluminum and stainless do not run well unattended.
It works best to run only one thickness unattended at night
Thicker plate (1/2" and thicker) Sheet heating becomes a problem if you have a lot of holes on a small sheet.

Also dry air is a must.

Your software will make or break your machine for you, so don't be cheap there.

Good luck,

Jburgesss

I have Trumpf and Bystronic machines here. We've had our L3050 Trumpf 5Kw for a year now, and have had a lot of problems with it. The laser part is just fine, no problems there. Its the X axis that is a real pain in the neck. machine was stopped for a whole month because of that. Trumpf technical service is questionable. Dont get me wrong, they are selling great machines, but it takes forever to get a technician when you have serious problems.

Bystronic is a lot better servicewise, and their machine are about equal in quality. Buy Bystronic.

We have a 4030 4kw Trumpf, it's been in operation about 4 1/2 years now. Reason we went with Trumpf was we also bought a V320 Press Brake and for the two machines they made us the best offer. Trumpf builds a very good machine but the last year or so I would have to question their Service and Parts Departments. I shouldn't really admit to this but we run our laser around the clock and don't do much in the way of PMs on it. I also know of another shop that bought a new 5kw Trumpf about a year ago which was number 5 for them. They tell me that it was junk, infact they just bought a Bystronic.

If you go with Trumpf I would not recommend the Tops software. It is just to rigid and very unfriendly to use.

Update:
It's been a year since I started this thread, It's interesting how Trumpf are being bashed for their service, It's the one area they have been bashing the vendor of the laser I bought, with which I have never had an issue with parts or service. I bought a Finn-Power L6, very nice, user-friendly and bloody fast! All linear drive, 4kw.

Of course there will be issues and down time, but Finn's response to my issues has been great, always a tech in next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back