Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laser Rust Cleaning Machine 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGGT6

Mechanical
Aug 18, 2020
AU
thread380-462561
Hello,
This is my first post here and I hope I am in the right place.
I saw a previous thread about a laser rust cleaner and hoped someone here has had some experience with them.
I have just spent my kids inheritance and bought a 50W Fibre Laser from China and I am having mixed success with it.
It is great for light surface rust but doesn't seem to want to touch deeper pitted rust.
Hopefully I have uploaded a before and after photo as well as a video. The video shows the laser working really well.

I look forward to any discussion.
Many thanks,
Doug

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=299528e5-6189-4209-aac7-871e490238f2&file=Faceplate.m4v
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Fiber-based cleaning systems you see video of hand-held wands being used to "scrape" away rust are many 100's of Watts... your 50W isn't going to do more than what you've seen.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Hello Dan,
Thanks for your reply.
From what I can ascertain from many of the laser suppliers, the more watts predominately only give you a faster pace of cleaning. This video shows that basically the 1000w is just faster (as well as "soft" and "rough" cleaning).
The beam power specs for a 50W laser source is 1 Joule which is the same as a 100W source.
Here are the before and after photos I meant to upload.
IMG_1341_awf0ld.jpg

IMG_1348_rfqiem.jpg

The left over black marks/pitting are my concern. Is it rust the laser needs a different setting for (more/less kHz) or is the laser beam affecting/changing the pitted rust???????

Many thanks,
Cheers,
Doug

Total energy (Joule) isn't the entire picture... you also have to consider the duration and/or peak energy of that transfer. I could stand behind a parked car pushing with my hand all day and it won't move... but if I can store that energy up and provide it in a single one-second burst, that car will end up across the parking lot. Also, don't assume that because you don't see shiny metal what you're looking at is rust... contaminants come in all shapes/sizes (i.e., chemical formulations).

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Or, you could wind up with a big dent in hood ;-)

The reason this works at all is that the rust absorbs the laser wavelength and energy. If it's not going away, it could be either that it's not red rust, but some other iron oxide, or it's just no longer shiny because of the surface specularity was damaged by the rust.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Thanks Guys.
Yes I had wondered if the remaining areas were red or other (black?) rust.
It is hard to photograph (and see visually) but I seem to notice that after cleaning a black area with a wire brush on a bench grinder, all/most the metal "appears" to be shiny and clean but after passing the laser over the area, the black spots seem to reappear which makes me wonder if the laser is "cooking" something in the bottom of the pitting?????
axe_wire_brush_hvtmdi.jpg

axe_laser_l0d00d.jpg

I have also used a scribe to scrape some of the black marks and the resultant dust is brown, not black.
brown_rust_1_bwthet.jpg

brown_rust_2_lu9zgt.jpg

These black marks are eaten away by the Evaporust Rust product so can I assume that the black is rust and not a contaminant?

I was reading that there is a difference between surface rust and "pitted rust". I thought "pitted" only meant it was found in pits below the surface, but is it an actual different chemical formula meaning the the laser does not ablate it?

Cheers,
Doug

What makes the difference between iron and steel is the carbon content. It's possible your laser is still heating up the surface enough to bring the carbon onto the surface. You may have insufficient power to convert the carbon to CO or CO2

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back