Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laser rust remover safety question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your link claims 100W.

So ablation is a function of the absorptivity of the material in question at the wavelength in question, which is 10.6 um, plus, the dwell time. So, the rust is highly absorptive at that wavelength, while the underlying metal is highly reflective; therefore, the rust rapidly heats up and vaporized because of its relatively low thermal mass. On the other hand, while human skin is likewise highly absorptive, its thermal mass is tied to the water content in the skin and underlying tissues acting like a heat sink.

That said, if the person in the video was to stop the laser in one place on the hand, ouch! In any case, a 1-kW laser is not a toy, and caution should be exercised.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

$75 for that machine?! No bloody chance!

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Beings though the link you provided is now not available may answer some questions

shop_gone_rbvllo.gif

If you ask me to do something, I will do it. There's no need to nag me every 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back