Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laser triangulation distance sensors applicable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadBeta

Industrial
Jul 22, 2004
NO
Hi,

We need to measure the distance to a moving object a minimum of 3 times a second. The distance range is about 2 meters, and we need a resolution of about 2 to 5 mm. As other objects are closeby we believe the narrow beam of a laser will be our best option.

Does anyone here have experience using laser triangulation sensors? What are their weak spots or points to be aware of when comparing models? Calibration if any? Durability?

And of course, what is a normal price for suchs units?

Thanks for any help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I specified a similar laser, but the resolution was measuring microns and the range was in millimeters. If you contact Keyence, who keeps engineers as thier sales/application staff, I think they will have a solution or a source for a solution. There was absolutely no issues with the Keyence support or equipment; hit the ground running and is still working fine. Good luck.

Hey, I'm actually a sales engineer for Keyence...that kind of tolerance is tough to hold from that distance and that fast of a response time. The best I could do would be our LK Series long distance head which would get you up to 30" away with 50 um res. maybe you could use dual heads to get the extra range.

Later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back