Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lateral sway of Vertical Bracing and Moment Reisisting Frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamETABS

Structural
Dec 19, 2008
IR
Hello All,
Do you know any shortcuts (prefereably Graphical Solution) to calculate the lateral sway of Vertical Bracing or Moment Reisiting Frames in low/medium rise buildings? I know I can calculate it with "Virtual Work Method" but this can be lengthy!

Many Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you tried slope-deflection method for moment frames? It's probably pretty long by hand for anything more than two floors (maybe best to set up a spreadsheet).

If you do the moment area method you can just add up the M/EI values up any column length and determine the lateral deflection at the top.

"Tall Building Structures Analysis and Design", by Bryan Stafford Smith and Alex Coull contains methods for calculating drift of buildings with any kind of lateral force resisting system, including combined systems. This book is fascinating. It's directed toward tall buildings, but the theories should apply to shorter buildings as well.

I agree with JAE. I have a spreadsheet that uses Moment-Area method for shear wall buildings and it works out pretty good. I am sure the concept can be used for braced and moment frame buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back