Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laterally Loaded Battered Micropiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSRYAN7

Geotechnical
Jul 24, 2020
US
Hey guys, I'm looking at a vertical and battered micropile design for a retaining wall footing. I have one row of vertical piles on the retained side of the footing and a row of battered piles on the excavation side of the footing. The loads I have been given per pile are 90k compression, 30k tension, and 10k lateral. The plan is for only the battered piles to take the lateral load.

How do I determine the lateral capacity of the battered piles? Is it just the horizontal component of the axial force? Does the 10k lateral force translate to an axial force, therefore increasing my compression design load?

I have run this scenario in LPile but have been getting large deflections when using the battered piles in compression. My deflection criteria is 0.5 inches of movement but that seems pretty far-fetched without a large diameter casing.

I also have tried running this in Group with all of the piles together but I don't have all the applied forces to back-calculate the loads.

Anyone have any advice on this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can work out the lateral load capacity by relating the force diagram with given constraints. You should do the same for gravity load, then combine the results and compare.

image_unfqq8.png

The lateral loading is not very large. I would model it in GROUP (also made by Ensoft). The deflections would be significantly reduced when pile-head fixity is achieved in the pile cap. I agree with retired-13, system-2 is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back