Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Latex paint over epoxy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TugboatEng

Marine/Ocean
Nov 1, 2015
US
This is more of a personal question but I have an older military vehicle that needs some paint. I want to avoid using the CARC paint as single part polyurethane paints are a bit of a pain to work with in small batches or without pro equipment. Consumer polyurethane paints also have too much sheen. The general consensus is that flat latex house paints can match the CARC appearance quite closely and have a reasonable life expectancy. I would however like to use a wash primer and epoxy primer on any bare metal for corrosion protection. I was wondering if any of the coating engineers had any advice on getting adhesion beyond basic mechanical prep, perhaps a chemical etch?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are two-part CARCs available; at least, there were, about 4 years ago, when we had to buy some camouflage CARCs for a test. The annoying thing that I recall was not being able to buy tiny quantities to cover the test samples we wanted to paint.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

I'm in California so I can only buy type 3. The price is ok but it is only available by the gallon. Without a nitrogen blanket I would hate for the gallon to cure after opening.

Hmm, that's a really intriguing product considering I would prefer to do this project in the driveway. I only have to do spot repairs with the primer and can easily sand those smooth. The door frames and stuff are good enough so I don't really have to deal with wrapping the more complex parts of the body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back