Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Layering in v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

cableguytim

Mechanical
Sep 30, 2003
US
Hello,

I am having trouble finding a way to layer in v5 if have any helpful information please post.

[bigears] Thanks in advance Tim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tim,

Sorry to be blunt but why bother, the classic reason for layering was to seperate information for various end users eg. planning, NC, tooling etc. With V5, all models are held as seperate entities, ie. NC, tooling and planning will all have their own part extensions within the Catia family. Dassault did include layering for users in v5 but only as a legacy tool for people having a hard time adjusting to the non-layering environment.

In fact, Dassault's official line is that layering is not required in V5 and therefore will not be supported to the same extent as in v4. Therefore, don't expect it to have a nice fancy (read easy to use) interface.

If you are trying to layer to hide information then the hide/show functionality works best, if you can master its use at different levels of the product tree (hide/show has different effects depending on what level of the tree is active).

Gary

hi,

warburton1 :
hide/show has different effects depending on what level of the tree is active ???

I know only one, can you give more information?

thanks

Eric N.

catiav5@softhome.net

Sorry maybe my grammer wasn't upto it, there is only one function of hide show, that is to hide or show. However it seems that the active level of the product structure can cause the hidden element to become difficult to access depending on what level it was "hide/show" 'ed at

If you have, say, a top level assy active and open a lower level tree structure to no show a certain element the effect is different than if you had the CATPart as the active model, I have noticed that sometimes the effect can be to hide the whole model, sometimes it will hide just the selected element, again it seems to depend on the active level in the tree.

The Active level also affects the restoration of elements from Hide. If you hid an element in its Part, it may not be possible to restore it when the assy is active, instead the whole CatPart may swap to hide instead of showing the required element.

Note when I say Elements I mean items within a catpart and not the whole part, eg sketches, individual 3D wireframe elements, etc.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back