Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Layers / Display Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrittToolEngineer

Aerospace
Aug 4, 2016
US
Greetings:

I have a borrowed file that is layered. When I try to shut a layer off, I notice in the tree, the body ghosts out, but the image on the screen stays shown. I would like the image to disappear when I turn its layer off. Can someone advise where I find the settings for this?

Thanks,

Brent

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would first check the Layer Visible in View settings.

"Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively."
-Dalai Lama XIV

ewh - actually, in the example described above, I am talking about the model view. Normally, If I put a body on a specific layer, and if I turn that layer off, the image disappears. The problem I have now is that if I turn the layer off, the image still appears.

I now have a new problem in drafting, when I go to draft, say for example, and sketch line or a project line, or a cross-section line, when I click dimension, the lines will not even be recognized. They are displayed, but I'm not able to click and end point to display a dimension.

Hopefully I've not added to the confusion, but I have (2) different issues, one with modeling and layers, and one with drafting.

Thanks,

Brent

For the first issue, it is probably a layer visible in view issue as mentioned by ewh. In the modeling application, turn on all the layers, then start the "layers visible in view" command and use the "reset to global" option. OK the dialog. If this doesn't fix the issue, try changing the work view as described here:
thread561-369959

For the 2nd issue, check your layer settings; there is an option "visible only" which would allow you to see the objects on the layer, but not select them. If this option is on for your layer, turn it off.

www.nxjournaling.com

When you "reset to global" you set the view to what the layer settings currently are, so you may want to make all the layers visible and selectable before you do that.

Jerry J.
UGV5-NX1884

That second issue, it can be such that Layer "12" is invisible and therefore non selectable.
but, via the Visible in view, that layer is Visible in that view.
then that line will be displayed but not selectable.

Regards,
Tomas

All,

We learned something concerning this issue that I thought I would share. The file that I used was from an engineer who received step files from a programmer using MasterCAM. Our engineer then opened this step while in UG, then saved the file, and it now becomes a .prt file. This file automatically created a "GLOBAL_PMI_VIEW", and that was the current Model View. All I had to do was make the Trimetric view the work view and all the trouble went away. Anyway, hope this is helpful.

Thanks,

Brent

This is correct, the PMI views uses Layers Visble in View to make the layer settings "stick" to the view rather than be a global setting.
You replace the view and you get different layers visible. ( Notice difference between "replace view" and "orient view".)

Regards,
Tomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back