Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LCD screen damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottI2R

Electrical
Feb 2, 2005
US
Hi,
Can anyone tell me why a laptop screen that had been diagnosed as cracked, and showing black splotches, would return to full functionality with no noticable pixel damage? This occurred over the period of about a week.

Thanks for any input,

Scott

In a hundred years, it isn't going to matter anyway.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cracked, and it's back to normal? I think it's time to put down the crackpipe ;)

I can't even begin to provide a useful answer for such an odd circumstance, other than to say the diagnosis was obviously wrong.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

MAcgyvers2000,
Yeah, I find it hard to comprehend myself. I took it in under warranty and they claimed it was abuse. I have never seen a screen "repair" itself. But, it did have what looked like an olive branch extending about 2 inches from the center right side edge of the screen. When I got it back, it was just a black spot abot the size of a pencil eraser and it progressively disappeared over the next week.

I don't get it.

Thanks
Scott

Hi-

The pressure on the display "relaxed" over the time period.
The glass, although "plastic" really ain't for our purposes.
Most likely it was the outside bonding that got a little
loose.

If you have a cheap electronic game or calculator, you can
push on the display and see the area around your finger
go dark. Same thing.

Unfortunately, I the display will be compromised for the
rest of it's life and it's a shame that they chalked it
up as "abuse". You might try claiming that it was a stress
fracture in the glass brought about by a change in
temperature.

When I was in college, my girlfriends sister thought she
would do me a favor and wash my car during a hot summer
day. (San Joachin valley, California). I wasn't around.
As soon as the "cool" water from the hose hit the hot
glass, there was a nice crack extending half way across
the windshield........ Needless to say, neither she nor
I was too happy. Also, needless to say, she never
volunteered to wash my car again either.

Cheers,

Rich S.

Thanks Richs,
Screen is still working great. Best Buy voided my extended warranty because of this "abuse". I no longer shop there. I have seen truely cracked screens and mine did not even compare. I am just glad that it "repaired" itself. I do appreciate the answer because it was really bothering me. If only I could patent this repair process.

Scott

I have heard similar complaints about "Best Buy". It is about time people start reporting them to their "State Office of the Attorney General Fraud Division Consumer Protection". The abuse is obviously them reneging on their warranty obligations!

David Baird

Sr Controls Designer
EET degree.
Journeyman Electrician.

I'd recommend never purchasing extended warranties from stores... they are even more slimey than standard insurance companies when it comes to paying up.

I second the warning against Best Buy specifically as well. Not only is it a pretty crappy store in general ($20 for a USB cable? give me a break!), they have failed to pay mail-in rebates to many customers and you see how great their warranties are.

I think we can all agree that cracked glass does not ever heal itself.(Think of the marketing if it could!)

It will stress relieve though. Since what you see in an LCD display is greatly dependant on the mechanical spacing of the polarizers, cells, and other physical entities, a good bash will certainly mess up the result. I agree some stresses may have relieved causing the 'healing'.

Unless you have specifically purchased "all hazards" insurance I see no reason for an insurance company to pay for any mechanical damages. There are policies for "replacement". I bet the insurance you signed up for specifically stated that broken/damaged displays were not covered.

Those extended warranties are probably one of the worst investments you will ever make.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

Thats the truth about the warranties. No more of those and no more Best Buy. It was hilarious this summer when they sent me a letter to renew my warranty! BTW, the screen is still fine. No further problems.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back