Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ldd topsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.

deep6

Civil/Environmental
May 17, 2004
US
i would like to know if there is a easy way to get topsoil #'s in ldd2004. it works great for mass quanities over the whole site. but if i want to take 8" of topsoil from several diffrent areas it is difficult and time consuming. making many surfaces and pasting them together. i looked at some earlier posts but they did not seem to help. so if anyone has any ideas please help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Deep6,

When working with topsoil in LDD I will usually create a copy of my existing DTM then lower the surface by the amount of the average topsoil depth from the soils report. I work with subdivisions, small and large commercial projects. Using this method works out well as typically for my sites the contractor will strip off all the topsoil and stockpile for use later to fill in islands/planters, place in grass areas, etc.

I ususally do my earthwork takeoffs comparing this eg minus topsoil surface and my finished grade surface. Then I use an excel spreadsheet to account for shinkage, cut/fill building/pavement thicknesses, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back