Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lead Paint Abatement

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeRangeMonkey

Structural
May 14, 2003
US
I am working on a project that involves the demolition of an existing 100 year old structure that contains hazardous materials, including asbestos, PCB ballasts, fiberglass resin in containers and huge timbers covered in lead paint.

I have another project that is to design a new home for a high-end client...and I was thinking that a nice heavy timber structure would be a great solution for this client.

Our contract with the first project states that the demolished materials belong to us as the contractor and that we are responsible for the abatement, disposal, etc. and must adhere to all regulations, etc.

I would like to use the timber beams in the first project in the design of the second. My understanding of the risks of lead paint and the abatement thereof requires that loose paint chips be removed by scraping and then the wood members can be handled without special equipment. Is it then possible to remove the surfaces of the beams, columns and planking by planing them in a controlled environment? Where do I learn more about this?

The wood in question is of tremendous value...some of the beams are 10x18 in perfect condition.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my experience we have sent clean timbers (no ACM, LBP, embedded hazarous materials, etc.) to companies that specialize in timber reclamation/reuse. They do the planing and resell the timbers. I am sure you could work a deal with them in sending the timber to them and having them plane it for you. If you search the internet ("buy used timber or equivalent") I am sure you can find several companies.

Recmediation, Inc. provides the following services on a nationwide basis:
Demolition
Dismantlement
Plant Relocations
Rigging
Plant Decommissioning
Investment Recovery
Surplus Equipment and Materials Sales
Environmental Remediation
Decontamination & Hazardous Waste Management
Asbestos and Lead Abatement
Brownfield Redevelopment Support