Leak Seal Box NDE Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gov3

Civil/Environmental
Mar 18, 2024
ZA
thread292-408416

Good Morning, I need some advice We currently design and manufacture Leak seal boxes. These boxes are welded together from plates to make the enclosure, once welded we machine to design and bolt on the halfs and fasten the enclosure,after we inject sealant. Currently, there isn't really a code /standard that mentions leak seal boxes other than ASME PCC 2, and even that speaks about leak seal boxes that get welded to the leaking pipe, In our case, we don't weld the box to the leaking pipe. We only weld items together to make the enclosure and use sealant to seal the leaking pipe.

Now that I've explained the background, My question is do we have to RT/UT the welds that join the box components together?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If there is not a code of construction applicable to leak boxes (none that I am aware of, except for PCC 2, which you have made mention) then the decision to perform NDE resides with either you, the manufacturer, or with your potential customers.

Have you had customers either inquire or require such NDE, and hence your question?

The devil is in the details; she also wears prada.

Good Morning
The client hasn't given any requirements as their engineers also classify leak seal boxes as pressure accessories, This puts leak seal boxes in an odd area. We want to comply to as much as possible but still need to be practical in the NDE's we do as the cost is still an important factor as well. But if the code states something that I'm not aware of, such as Leak seal boxes shall have full RT, then that is code and something I have to adhere to regardless of cost.

To sum up my issue, I want to ensure we are fully compliant with a code applicable for leak seal boxes although there is no exact code for it.
Please keep in mind the leak seal boxes aren't welded directly onto the pressure pipe , But are bolted on.

To sum up my issue, I want to ensure we are fully compliant with a code applicable for leak seal boxes although there is no exact code for it.

Then pick a code and follow the NDE rules, such as ASME Section VIII, Div 1.

You might also want to consider looking at the requirements for UM stamped vessels (miniature) where the requirements are similar, but different. UM vessels typically fall under these categories:

Vessels 5 Cubic Foot of volume or smaller with pressures not exceeding 250psi.
Vessels 3 Cubic Foot of volume or smaller with pressures not exceeding 350psi.
Vessels 1.5 Cubic Foot of volume or smaller with pressures not exceeding 600psi.

Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back