Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

leak testing sewer pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryant4

Chemical
Oct 26, 2011
US
New construction leak testing sewer pipe -> air testing or hydrostatic testing can be done for smaller diameter sewer pipes (<24"), but how would one go about testing or checking larger diameter sewer pipe (24" or larger)? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may wish to refer to the latest version of the Standard Specifications for Public Works Construction (Green Book), and/or other standards for similar work e.g. ASTM C924 as referenced/paraphrased? at etc. You will notice the latter reference warns about safety concerns of very large diameter pipe air-testing e.g. with sewer plugs etc., and I guess same are legitimate.
I would caution however, that if testing of individual joints is used (an option it appears of at least the latest reference) this scheme does not test the installed condition of pipe barrels etc. Some folks apparently employ various schemes as well of water, as well as vacuum/external pressure testing of pipelines and manholes etc.
Everyone have a great Thanksgiving!

Air testing is generally not used in civil projects. Hydrotesting is used. Vacuum testing is rare, at least in my area.
If you specify air testing and something goes wrong, you will not have followed the industry testing standard.
There are many debates in the Piping forum that air testing is sometimes the correct choice in process piping. I am unaware of any reason to use air testing in civil works.

I would agree that hydrostatic testing is superior in many respects, including safety, to air-testing of installed pipelines in general/principle. I have noticed also that in , “RECOMMENDED PRACTICE FOR LOW-PRESSURE AIR TESTING OF INSTALLED SEWER PIPE” and also , that Uni-Bell also appears to be currently providing some rather detailed history and direction for the latter. I guess I have to ask are you saying these folks are promoting an improper or inapplicable field test for their “civil works”?

rconner,
Good point.
I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the OP was testing sanitary force main at 100 to 150 psi, in which case air testing should not be used.
The articles you refer to are for testing at perhaps 10 psi, which can be used for gravity sanitary sewers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back