Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Leaking Switchgear Roof Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

isnata

Electrical
Jun 3, 2013
CA
Hello everyone,

I am currently involved in some preventive maintenance projects. I would like to get recommendations concerning how to repair leaking switchgear roofs. I am planning on using a coating of rubberized mastic cement, to cover the whole switchgear top. I'm not sure if this is common practice. There's also another option of using welding, which would require pin-pointing the point of leakage and weld there.

Thank you guys in advanced for your input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I had the same problem. I was told not to spend any money on double ended 2400vAC 1600Amp switchgear, that was a 1930 vintage. Finally water entered into the swgr starting a fire on an inline CT. A temporary fix was pain ordinary roofing tar and made small hip roof out of plywood and covered with plastic sheet. It was mickey mouse setup but it worked for about 6-7 months until the mill was shut down.
Hope this helps,
Dave

Thank you all for your answers. Thank you LDGR. I did research online and found using a combination of asphalt coating and Alsan Flashing, together with meshing in between the joints will do the job.

LDGR I think this is similar to your idea?

Is there anyone here who has used these two combinations for roof metallic roof repair before?

Thanks.

Hi isnata,
use polyester in two layers reinforced with fiberglass. Two layers in cross will give you extra safety. Keep in mind that the preparation of the surface of the metal plate is very important for a good result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back