Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

leaks arresting in Watertight structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

MElsayd

Mechanical
Jul 6, 2019
QA
Good Afternoon All

we are constructing a rectangular reservoir 300*150*12 m consists of four compartments with three movement joints.

after construction completion, water tightness test is started by compartment wise, and we have observed leaking cracks on the walls, Contractor's treatment proposal is the injection by Acrylic from the inner face of the reservoir. leaks are arrested but after two cycles of filling and emptying we observed a new leak through new cracks and from the injected cracks as well
Structure durability in a question, Contractor doesn't have other option than re-injection and rearrest the leak, but it might be re-appeared in the future again.

my main search is defining the root cause as the observation might happen due to movement in different seasons which affects the crack pattern.

would any expert of you advise the root cause?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is almost impossible to seal cracks that move from the inside of the crack. If a crack is 0.05 inches wide and 0.05 inches of movement occurs, then the sealer will see 100% strain. A rubber or vinyl sheet liner will be very reliable for sealing. If the cracks are in only clearly defined areas, sheet patches could be applied. A flexible spray-on liner could also work.

Seems to me that while the leaks and cracks kind of go together, they are almost two separate problems.

> the patch sealant is required, but it seems that additional new cracks might appear, so one might be tempted, barring re-building the tank altogether, to simply coat the entire inner surface of the tank to prevent future leaks. Given the possibility of new cracks, the coating thickness needs to be thick enough to avoid bursting from the water pressure across the crack

> the cracking seems to be an issue with the either the design or the construction, or both. Are the walls thick enough to begin with? Is there sufficient rebar in the walls? Is the concrete weaker than expected?

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back