Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Leaning support base repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pump2005

Civil/Environmental
Jan 14, 2006
US
I have a support base that supports three columns. After repairs were made to the unit on top we noticed a slight leaning out of the base and the columns leaning out at the bottom and separating from the base. This condition has worsened. At this time we cannot tear out the base and rebuild it. My question, what is the best way to level the base back upright and hold it in position? The ground it is on has a lot of sand in it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the soil is Predominantly sandy, the situation will most likely not get any worse, and the settlement will not increase, the question is how far the columns are leaning out?

You could grout, install push piers or do helical. All are viable options. Just a matter of cost, and need. contact the structural to determine how out of plum the columns can be and ask the geotech for a reccomendation to fix.

Thanks for responding petros77 and TDAA. The base has tilted out about two inches and seperated from the column almost an inch. Pushing the base back to level is probably not too much of a problem, would a footing around the base work to keep it in place when leveled?

Grouting (of the soils) or the other alternatives would, unless I missunderstand the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back