Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Learjet 25 Wing Removal 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

chippy1

May 14, 2010
GB
Hi all

Have been assigned to remove wings of a Learjet 25 for transport to an aero college, could anyone let me know what the job intales, an angle grinder is allowed but would rather not if I don't have to, also where I might find any relevant technical data sheets, SRM, AMM, etc

thanks in advance

Chip

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i'm pretty sre the Lear wing is built into the fuselage, not attached by just a few conections. that said, the thing is put together ... how much disassembly (= time) vs being a bit free with a grinder ?? maybe cut the wings off, but 1st put on witness marks so you can align things properly again after transport. maybe cut in a place where it's easy to add an external doubler, joiing both sides of the cut ? maybe (just maybe) a bunch of internal doublers, which would look neater.

if it's goin to a school, maybe they'd do the reassembly as a project ??

I think there is a 12 year, 12,000 hour "de mate" inspection on these aircraft. It's a big deal, and puts alot of these loud bastards in the boneyard.

For some reason I have the idea that the wings are installed with a bunch of Tension bolts & "bathtub" fittings.

thruthefence is I believe correct about the 12,000 hour wing 'demate'. If you google it several relevant results mentioning it come up.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Contact Bombardier-Lear service engineering, explain what You are doing and ask for advice. Emphasize, this jet will NOT fly again, and that a it will be used for maintenance training... so minimal disassy/transprot damage would be appreciated.

I assume they have dealt with disassy/transport of crash damaged aircraft, so this shoul NOT be a big deal.

Regards, Wil Taylor

Maybe you should try one of the aircraft maintenance forums or hook up with an A&P that has experience with Lears. It may save you a personal injury. There are definitely right and wrong ways to do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back