Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Learning CNC 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MEEKHA

Mechanical
Apr 24, 2013
Hello
As I say I'm student. And I'm still confused about the courses I want to have. so I wondered How To start in my way to learn CNC and Where to start to read??
I hope to get help from other engineers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

At least some CNC machine builders supply a PC-based simulator and some simple textbooks with their machines. Talk nice to a CNC retailer and ask them to help you in your quest.

CNC programming comes under the heading of 'nice to know', but not really essential, for engineers.

It's more important to understand what the machine can do, and especially what it cannot do. That's independent of whether a macine tool has a CNC control or an old German machinist attached to it. ... and it's not usually covered in school.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

To give much more help then you may have to give some more information such as:

Where in the world are you located/where are you interested in learning?

What's your end goal?

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Mike made a very good point that I can personally appreciate. I am primarily a machinist/tool & die person who did not touch a CNC machine until a dozen years into my career.

Having a mastery of manual machines and knowing the nuances and quirks of materials, tooling, feeds and speeds, etc that were garnered from doing everything the "hard way" gave me a tremendous advantage.

One must learn to crawl before they can walk, as the old saying goes.

You can read about CNC, but in my opinion that's almost worse than useless. Do you have a local tech school that gives 1 or 2 year "degrees" in machine shop? If so, are night classes available? Are there any part-time apprentice positions in local manufacturing companies? Do not rule out learning manual machining first, it is a good foundation for all that's to follow.

Good luck in your endeavor!

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back