Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Learning curve

Status
Not open for further replies.

sldwrksrobotics

Mechanical
Oct 15, 2007
US
How dificult would it be for a new Catia user to learn the basic system I have about 9000 solidworks hours and know machine designe extensively as well as the modeling background. My question is targeted at the transition from SW to Catia.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depends on the workbenches you want to use. Typically, formal training classes are as follows: Basic V5 is 40-60 hours, Drafting is another 20, NC Programming about 20-40. Analysis 20-40, etc.

The learning curve after that depends on how much "unlearning" you have to do. A CATIA V4 user usually takes about 3-6 months of unlearning until they are as proficient as they were (and then they accelerate from there).

I do not know SW, so I can't tell you what the transition period might be for that, but I'm sure it's better than the V4 transition, as SW is a lot more modern than V4 is.

As a former solidworks user (10 years worth) I can tell you that I had a long period of transition. The former catia guy was let go so I had not much help in learning Catia. Unlike solidworks Catia is not as user friendly. The drawing package in Catia is not as good as solidworks, for example you can't do ordinate dimensions, something I still have a hard time with. In solidworks you can do a lot of customizing to suit your needs, Catia I can do none. Good luck!!

huntwe said:
The drawing package in Catia is not as good as solidworks, for example you can't do ordinate dimensions, something I still have a hard time with. In solidworks you can do a lot of customizing to suit your needs, Catia I can do none.

Correction: the use of SolidWorks is much less disciplined, in most cases, due to the lesser degree of complexity in the product life cycle. (past the initial CAD design stage)

Catia is plenty customizable - however, most employers lock out much of the customization, so as to retain standardization. (a good thing)

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

By the way - it is possible to do ordinate dimensioning in Catia. It falls under "cumulated dimensions". If you want to remove the dimension line, or funnel the visible extension line, you have to set up the proper values in the standard.

And so your transition period continues...

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

I cannot over emphasize the need for formal training!!!!!!! Yes, it is possible to learn CATIA on your own, but you will struggle for a lot longer time, learn some potentially bad habits, and your first few models will be so difficult to maintain in the future that you will probably need to start over.

Yes, CATIA Training is expensive, both in terms of the actual cost, but more importantly in employee time. It will, however, pay itself back in very short order. A formally trained user can be functional immediately, and at full speed in a few months. Someone learning on their own will struggle for several months, and it will probably take a year or more before they are at full speed.

Amen brother!! I totally agree. The only training I had was a week of the online tutorial, no one to ask questions too. Get the training or you will suffer, trust me.

In my experience it really depends on the user. That you can use another 3D package should be half the battle, so long as you haven't become too ingrained with the particular foibles of any one package.
I picked up Catia V5 to a reasonably high degree in about a month (yes I have learned plenty since then, but that is how long it took me to become "competent"), without any formal training and previously working on Pro/E.
Another guy in our office came from a V4 background and in the 3 months he was with us could barely model a simple shape.

sldwrksrobotics,

The basics of CATIA V5 modeling and surfacing are fairly easy to learn. The most important first step though, is to forget everything you know about other CAD systems.

While the basics of CATIA V5 are easy to learn on your own, learning and becoming familiar with all of the specialized procedures that each company has implemented for CATIA V5 is the most difficult part. Major OEM's like Boeing or LM now use MBD processes for their engineering systems, so being able to create a digital engineering product that conforms to their standards is very important, and actually quite difficult.

Good luck,
Terry

I used SW for a while, then went to V4. I've found that V5 is pretty similar to SW and was a easy transistion for me. Do you have anyone on site who is a user who is willing to answer quick questions? If so, you'll have no trouble picking up the big picture, but the small things make all the difference. The help files are OK, but a little cumbersome. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back