Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Learning from Catstrophe - not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All.

I've written a short article raising the question if we are doing enough in knowledge transfer regarding failures in the process industries.

Hope some finds it useful. Love to hear comments.

It's here:

JOM

Dera countryham,

The address should be ".htm" not ".html". Cheers,
John.

I have read that article and I think the viewpoint in it is useful.We should enhance safety by learning the accident more effectively.We should not stop hazard identification and analysis during the mormal operation of plants.

Thanks
Suncl

hello all,
i tried going to the site above, but it says page was not found.

Regards, RMD
Safety engineer/Fire prevention group
Aramco compny

Your article is to the point that the value of investigation is to determine the prevention of repetition. A wise person learns from his own mistakes, the genious learns from the mistakes of others.

Not to be trite, but if it were simple, there would be no safety regulations and voluntary standards around the world. It is not common sense because we do not have the common experiences. You are on the track to share the common experiences to achieve common preventions. On the other side is the constant balance between physical conditions to be foolproof and superior training to properly implement the hardware without mistakes.

I suggest you check two web sites and then subscribe to their free emails that report serious events, internationally, daily. They are as follows:

1 &
2 Credit for these go to:

Bryan Haywood
Manager of Industrial Safety Services
PSARA Technologies, Inc.
e-mail: bthaywood@PSARA.com
Office Phone: (513)791-4418
Mobile Phone: (513)657-6514

You have found your stump - go for it with all our admiration and appreceation.

Phil

Dear Phil and others.

First, the address for the file should have been ".html" not ".htm". How many times do I have to learn that coputers do what you tell them, not what you want? A small trick - leave off the extension altogether.

(I learn from my mistakes - I can now repeat them perfectly!)

The idea of learning from others' catastrophes certainly isn't a new idea - I'm just repeating what people of greater experience have been saying for a long time.

What I think needs developing at the present time is the resources of the Internet. This tool makes us all next-door neighbours. However, I think we are suffering information overload. We have yet to develop the methods to gather the information and dissemminate it efficiently.

Bryan Haywood's incident report service and database is a great resource. That;s where you can see the same basic engineering/human failures occurring in similar plants around the world.

I agree it's not simple. A problem is falling into the "armchair critic" mode.

Cheers,
John. Cheers,
John.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back