Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Learning from mistakes 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

jball1

Mechanical
Nov 4, 2014
US
I am a structural analyst with two years’ experience as an analyst and two years’ experience as a design engineer. Recently I completed an analysis, wrote the report and sent it to the internal customer (design engineer). He thought that there must be a mistake in my FEM representation of a connection, because he thought the stresses were unreasonably high. The high stresses were going to force a design change which, although small, would be frustrating for the external customer. I kept telling him that the way I modeled the connection was consistent with our typical practice. He kept making the same comment. This was irritating to me, as I was pretty confident that I was in the right. Also, the way he worded his comments was pretty condescending. My model and post-processing had been checked, and so my boss took my side, and overruled the design engineer.

For various reasons, this particular report sat for over a month before it was going to get signed off. Since I knew it was going to sit for a little while, and since I had a little down time this week, I decided to go back into the model to see whether making one small change to how the connection is modeled would affect the results. It was not a change that he suggested, but it was an idea that came to me and I figured I’d give it a try. In looking at the model with fresh eyes, I realized that I actually had made a mistake - not in the way I modeled the connection, but in the material property assigned to the connection. It was a simple, dumb mistake. I fixed the material property, and sure enough, the stresses came down to more reasonable levels.

Looking back, I realize that I should have been much more receptive to his insistence that there was something wrong. He is a far more experienced engineer than I am. I was irritated by the way he made his comments, and the sheer volume of comments he made to my report that were not technical, many of which were simply wrong (note - I pride myself on being a decent technical writer, and he was making many comments that were simply grammatically incorrect. I add this note to head off the comments to the effect that I probably am just a poor writer who needs lots of correction).

Anyways, I spend a decent amount of time on these forums, and have learned quite a bit - both technically and about office interpersonal relationships. I have noticed, though, that many of the threads on the eng tips forums follow this pattern:

1. OP explains the predicament they are in.

2. People comment that they wouldn't have made the mistakes the OP made to get into that situation.

3. People give examples of times they were in a similar situation, but they made better choices than the OP, and it all turned out ok.

Certainly not all threads follow this pattern, but many do. There is nothing wrong with people sharing the good decisions they have made. We all can remember times that we made the right decision under pressure, and things turned out well for us. It can be very helpful to learn from each other's successes. However, I think we can all admit that we have made mistakes in our careers, some serious, and those can be as helpful or even more helpful to learn from than our successes.

What are some of the biggest mistakes you have made in your career - either technical mistakes or interpersonal mistakes. What was the outcome of the mistake? What did you learn from the mistake?

Since the first mistake I shared did not have any serious consequences (fixed before the document was finalized), I'll share another mistake that did have consequences.

Before I worked in analysis, I spent a few years working as a design engineer. In this company, the typical practice was to throw you into the deep end and see if you drowned. I actually prefer this approach, because it is a great way to learn things really quickly. The very first project I worked on was with two other engineers – an engineer with one year of experience and an engineer with about 30 years’ experience who was a few months away from retirement. This was a relatively small project, but had very tight deadlines. The deadline for the first drawing happened to coincide with a long vacation that the younger engineer went on. The older engineer, who had pretty much mailed it in at this point, also went on a surprise vacation at this time. So I was left to complete the drawing and get it out to meet the deadline. I really did not know what I was doing. I had little to no understanding of GD&T, and didn’t even know how to put together a bill of materials. However, I told myself, “If my boss trusts this job to me, I must be capable of completing it, and so I’ll just do my best and then hand it in. Any mistakes will be caught when it is checked.” It didn’t get checked. I sent it to him, he briefly looked it over and sent it out (which is a violation of our company policy, but we’re focusing on my mistakes here, not his) in order to make the date. Our customer immediately caught several of the glaring mistakes in their own review of the drawing, which made us (me) look pretty bad. Even worse though, a year later one of the mistakes showed up when they were trying to build the product. This cost quite a bit of time, money and frustration. It was a relatively small project, and so the time/money/frustration was proportional to the project size, but it wasn’t insignificant. It was definitely painful for all involved. The main things I learned:

1. If I am not comfortable with my work, I should NEVER pass it off as finished, assuming that someone else will adequately check it. In fact, I now assume that no one is going to check my work.

2. The later in the game that mistakes come out, the more money, time and heartburn it takes to fix them.

3. Finally, I learned that I should never ever send something out just to make a schedule. Schedules are important, but product quality is much much more important. When you are about to miss a date, everyone is mad at you. If you are weeks, or even a month or two late, the pressure intensifies. However, once you get the product out (at least at my company), all is forgotten with regards to the date. At that point, all that matters is the product quality. So it is much better to take your licks for being late and just work steadily to complete a quality product than to get a hastily finished product out the door on time, briefly look like a hero, and then spend months/years paying for the mistakes.

Alright, now it’s your turn. If possible, I’d especially like to hear from some of the more experienced engineers who I am sure have some significant battle scars. Thanks for reading and in advance for sharing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I work in the controls engineer world and things change rapidly. So I heard the old adage that if your not making a mistake your not trying. So I stay humble when someone says there is a problem I go with that person see what they are talking about, then review the aspects that could be wrong. If its something I can fix, I fix it. If its a wish of the customer I send it to my project manager and engineering manager. I guess my point is that I check my side to make sure I am not at fault. Then if its not I report it as so with my PM or EM as stated before and also alert the customer of this aspect.

I've made PLENTY of mistakes during my career. The key to handling mistakes is a) identifying them, b) admitting it, and not attempting to deflect blame, c) bringing the mistake to the attention of the people who need to know and d) making a plan for how to address the consequences.

I was designing a system which was operating under a vacuum, and specified a small air-driven centrifugal pump to draw out the resulting liquid and discharge it to a tank. Somehow, I forgot about the atmospheric pressure... Can't remember how I caught it- but do remember that we threw in a 2nd identical pump in series to solve the problem, eating the cost of the pump and installation as our mistake. Fortunately we did this here in our own shop- it didn't get shipped to the customer before we found my error. The wonderful upside in this case was that we never would have considered using two pumps in series if it hadn't been for the error I made. The one-pump solutions which you would normally reach for in this case were all unsuitable in one way or another- including the one our client had used previously, which had been a maintenance nightmare. The two pump solution apparently worked brilliantly for over a decade.

Another example, but not so good this time: I had a fairly experienced engineer, but fairly new to our company, working with me as 2nd chair on a large project. He bought a bunch of relief valves which had to discharge into a relief line which on occasion had corrosives discharging into it. Stainless steels were OK, but carbon steel clearly wasn't- and he'd made the error of buying valves which had carbon steel on the discharge side. I detected this error by total accident- my fault in hindsight for giving him too much free rein before I knew him well enough. I hinted at the error several times, hoping he would catch it himself and do the right thing. He didn't, even after I became far less subtle with my hints. When I finally confronted him with the error, he argued whether or not it was an error, rather than admitting it and trying to come up with a solution. Turns out it was a very easy fix- a quick swap- cost us almost nothing and didn't result in a delay to the client. Turns out, this guy was willing to knowingly ship the unit with incorrect components to the client rather than admit he'd made a mistake. He lacked the humility to accept that he made errors- and that's a fatal character flaw.

A while back, a few of us managed to put into words one of the core values of our company, held in common by all its best employees: they cared far more about getting the thing right for the client than they did about being right personally. They also appreciated what they didn't know, weren't afraid to admit it, and sought help when it was necessary. We actively look for people like that, and try to teach that value to our younger staff. A big part of that is teaching them that they're not judged on whether or not they make errors- unless they show a lack of skill or wanton carelessness- but rather see errors as an opportunity for learning. We share our errors, near misses and other learnings formally, and often we find that an error made and detected by one has also been made by others who didn't realize it. That collective learning is very valuable to the whole team.

MoltenMetal,
I've always added an "e" to you list: e) find a way to learn from the mistake and communicate the learning.

When I retired I put together a presentation to a national conference called "30 Failed Innovations". It was all about the things that we tried in a crazy environment where we were trying to develop a way to produce some gas wells at rates and pressures that didn't have an analog in the world. After the talk someone came up to me and said "Number 8 would have worked if you had ...", the kid was right and the "failure" was actually a serious error on my part (I failed to calculate the cyclical loading of converting a plastic pipe in a well from pressure outside to pressure inside 2 times/minute), that we were able to correct and the failed experiment became a pretty standard method that worked well.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

Your case tells us why some firms consider that you are not earning you way much in the first 5 years. It also shows why we all need someone to check our work, even if it is only cursory review by an experienced engineer. Bite the bullet and clear it up with no excuses.

I have had two young engineers working under me that made a few mistakes, mainly giving orders on a construction job without checking first at the office and sending out reports without an experienced checker. Both of these cases opened me or the company to possible legal action Since each of them spouted off with stupid excuses or reasons as to why it was OK. without even showing they learned and would be more careful, each of them were fired. It can happen to anyone.

Many years back I was heading engineering department of a company making heavy electrical products. We were nearly 30,making design and manufacturing drawings for the product. I used to call all of them on Monday morning for a 2 hour meeting every week-calling it a confession meeting. I used to convey all company info that I had access-new orders, deliveries, test bed failures,major site problems, customer complaints ,operational results, next quarter targets etc,etc. It was an excellent way for better communication. Then every one was expected to explain mistakes that he might have made previous week - what, how, why of mistake, how it was solved and preventive measure for future. It used to be an excellent tutorial for all and the meeting record remained a guide for newcomers. People used to forget unpleasant mistakes, but I was there always to remind if someone tried skip.

zdas04: agreed- we don't leave your e) to chance, we have a formal process for communicating errors and other learning points, and it's done in such a way that it is NEVER a public shaming.

On one of my first projects, I messed up some Gantt charts not realizing that the last 10% of a project requires about half of the projects effort. I grossly underestimated how long it would take to deliver the project because the first 90% was a breeze. Fixing everything so it is as close as possible to 100% correct takes a lot of time and effort and it is easy to get bogged down in small details.

Moltenmetal,
I had a boss once whose first question was always "Who is responsible?". My answer was always "It doesn't matter, we are going to skip the 'blame' step and go right to damage control". He was a big reason that I retired at 50. My replacement pandered to his "punish the innocent" approach and innovation STOPPED. 5 years later a task that I did over 300 times for an average cost of $8k with less than 8 hours of lost production took 2 full weeks of lost production and cost $500k. The difference was under my leadership no one got thrown under any buses and under her leadership everyone was spending more time looking for buses than for ways to improve the process. A side note: in 300+ times we did this task we never had a single injury or spill, not even a first aid, on the 9 times my replacement did this task she had 4 OSHA reportable injuries and 2 reportable spills. The key difference was that in my time the workers owned the process and currently the process owns itself and not one is really accountable.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

jball1 - I appreciate your thoughtful post. Good for your client for sticking to his guns, but sorry for his or her rudeness. I manage a group of engineers for a power utility, and it is a real challenge to get some people to make comments in a courteous but effective manner. Your description sounds like someone in my group! Anyway, when a consultant finds something that will make us do a lot of remedial work, you better believe we dig in and check carefully.

I have made many mistakes, but have never gotten into much trouble over them because I immediately own up and do what it takes to correct the mistake. One of the worst my mistakes was a people mistake. I was managing a big engineering job, and my boss added someone to my team who spoke very poor engish and seemed pretty useless. I gave him some calculations to check. This seemed safe because I had worked pretty closely with the engineer who prepared them and was pretty sure they were correct. Later, the new guy was trying to tell me something, but I could not understand and tried to dismiss him. Actually I was somewhat rude and mean about it. The guy would not give up though and finally I saw what he was talking about. It was a real doozy of a mistake, and we had to go back and make several corrections to subsequent work. I felt so grateful to this person and so terrible for what a jerk I was. I learned a great lesson to slow down and really listen to people from this.

Some folks never learn the value of "mistake-based education" because they never admit making mistakes.

In the OP's story, it crossed my mind that he learned from his mistake (assigning and incorrect material property) and will be the better engineer for it. On the other hand the more experienced engineer had somehow made it to that point in his career without ever learning the lesson of how to treat underlings that make mistakes themselves. He is a lesser engineer for it and probably not as far in his career as he could have been had he learned that lesson.

Oh, and in answer to mistakes I've made - there's not enough space or time to even start the list, considering that I try to learn something every day.

All, thank you for your comments/stories.

Oldestguy, in my mind there is no bullet to bite. Owning up to a mistake is the only option. I just wish I would have been wise enough to avoid it in the first place [smile]

Graybeach, your post sums up exactly how I feel - grateful that the design engineer was persistent and the mistake was caught before real harm was done, and terrible for being so self-assured and dense.

I'm an EI with less than a year at my first job, and I try to be very critical of my mistakes and take lengths to avoid them in the future.

My most recent mistake was rejecting a concrete mix shop because it didn't have enough air content. The architect replied with the contractor's email which literally contained the words "This engineer doesn't know what he's doing." I took great offense to that, but owned up to the small mistake which didn't cause any harm other than that to my pride, and I learned something.

If you made a mistake that could be perceived as you don't know what you're talking about, I can see the easy conclusion. The best bet in those circumstances is to own up to the mistake, apologize for it, and explain why you think it was made. Gives people a sense that you're human but capable of correcting issues.

Dan - Owner
URL]

I'm not one to pussy foot around other engineers screw ups (I'm a bit more of a soft touch with our production folk and the like), the corollary being that when I drop a clanger I have to fall on my sword and do what I can to make it right.

I'm trying to think of some really good examples and can't. Recently I rushed a design basing it closely on something my boss had previously done not looking more closely at the fit of some off the shelf components and the darn thing didn't fit when I gave it to our test & development folks to play with. I've had other fit issues before but less than a lot of my colleagues - I spend infinitely less time with the Dremel or similar than some of my colleagues.

Another one several years ago did a stretch of a stage assembly helping a colleague on a rush job and switched from 1 mm pitch to 2 mm pitch lead screw - all was good. Did a further development adjusting the limits of travel and when production was building it up the nut nearly fell off the end of the screw. Couldn't work out the problem all parts seemed to be to print etc. so we tweaked the limit switches and got on with our life. Next order same thing happened. I think it was the 3rd time I finally dug deep enough and realized that when I'd changed from 1mm to 2 mm pitch screw I'd just kept using the old CAD model. Not surprisingly turned out that for a larger pitch screw the nut from the same vendor/series was 5 mm longer. Doh!

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I remember a good one. I was asked to design a fastener that could be tightened using the standard tool on the production line. It had to go past the standoff that joined the two halves of the steering column shroud (the bit just behind the steering wheel with the indicator stalks etc). So I designed this waisted bolt that was just strong enough, and effectively projected the hex head out into an accessible area. I got 12 made up, used half a dozen of them to check they wouldn't break, and sent the others up for a line trial.

Urgent annoyed phone call - these bolts don't fit, we've stopped the line.

Well, it turns out they fit the shroud /before/ they fit this bolt, so they couldn't get the waisted bolt past the standoff.

Lesson learned - go and watch the assembly op before designing a part.

Anyway the line stoppage was no biggy, as the old part and tool still worked. That phone call was just a bit of social engineering.

The mark 2 version worked fine, ah, except I arranged the entire purchasing effort myself instead of going through purchasing. That resulted in a pretty stroppy phone call as well. My supervisor shrugged and said, well it's all sorted out, just don't do it again.

It was fun working on the cowboy projects.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

I remembered a doozy today.

We redesigned some customer assembled items to fix performance issues with another vendors item.

Part of this meant that a locking ring that needed a peg spanner ended up being 'down in a hole' rather than where it could be accessed with existing peg spanner.

URL]

To fix this I came up with a double ended peg spanner with a 'crank' in the handle at each end to give clearance into the recess.

As this 'handed' it one end had to be for fastening and one for loosening.

Well I did mental gymnastics and managed to flip one of the ends the wrong way so that the spanner would undo the ring both ends but not fasten it either end!

Didn't discover this until the customer came for a trial fit - fortunately I caught it just before they saw it and gave it to one of the techs to get cut in half, flipped and welded.

I managed to stall and then the tech got back with the fixed wrench.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I tell the young engineers in my office that one of the benefits of learning from your mistakes (and thus not repeating the same ones) is that you get to make new mistakes. [smile]

Fred

==========
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

Mechanical321,

There are many ways to mentor young folks. To me, getting mad isn't one of them. The guy could have just said, "Ummm...you meant divide by 3.5, right?", and the same message would have been delivered.

I've made some mistakes in my career too, but I've never been fired for one. Not mentioning an ID on a drawing is not routinely a "fire-able" offence.

Try not to make frequent mistakes; never make the same one twice, and you should be OK.

Plus, if you confine your mistakes to paper before something actually gets built, it's not a mistake; it's just a revision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back