Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Learning MicsrosoftProject

Status
Not open for further replies.

nurhforward

Geotechnical
Oct 10, 2008
NG
Micrsoftprojet is said to have contributed immensenly to execution and completion of engineering projects and their management; besides its has other usefulness in project planning, scheduling and controlling. I was told, its a must for Planning engineers.

I will like to learn this vast invention of Miscrosoft Cooperation; but how do I start ???

Please, I need ur kind assistantance in this direction.

My humble regards.

nurhforward, Gitto International.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To start learning MS Project I recommend finding a good class - that is not a button pushing class. MS Project is like a chess game - you can learn the moves but you really can't play until you learn the stratgery behind the moves. Having some project mgmt background is also a real help.

There are many good classes available and some are very pricing. There are also some good self-teaching books on the market but it could take you weeks to get through them. In a class with a good teacher you can also get some consulting for your situation. It is also possible to get a resume, talk to the teacher, and find out the quality of the trainer before you sign up for class. I have been teaching MS Project for over 10 years that I do this for my students at every class.

So, bite the bullet, realize that MS Project is not something that is self-trained easily and sign up for a quality class.

Good luck.

I agree with MSPtrainer: take a class and/or buy a book!!

I have worked with a number of individuals who have worked with Microsoft Project for years who really do not understand how they SHOULD work with it or how Microsoft Project really "thinks".

Unlike Word or Excel, in order to get the most from MS Project you need to do a little prep work!

You will find some MS Project training classes here:

And a number of articles, videos and podcasts on MS Project here:

Hope this helps!!

J Black

nurhforward:

Although I am currently a fan of MS Project, I must reply to your statement:

<I will like to learn this vast invention of Miscrosoft Cooperation>

The techniques of critical path scheduling and resource allocation, which is the basis of MS PROJECT (and PRIMAVERA, also on Eng-Tips Forum), have been well-known since at least the early sixties and the procedures had computer implementations then, though somewhat clumsy.
The methods were called PERT, and later CPM.

MS Project has indeed made resource allocation and project scheduling somewhat more user friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back