Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Learning the 13th Edition AISC Steel manual 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronjon322

Civil/Environmental
Feb 18, 2014
US
Does anyone have any good tips or references I can use to help me learn how to use the AISC steel manuals to find basic member capacities? It seems a little difficult to decipher everything when you first pick it up. The text doesn't really explain how the tables work or what to look for.

Basically looking for something along the lines of a YouTube series or AISC for dummies type of document that will help give me an overall understanding of how to use the manual.

Thanx

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Perhaps some college of engineering? I'm not sure I would trust anyone to design a structure without the proper education and mentoring.

I really wanted to learn brain surgery but the "cutting for dummies" book was out of print.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

ronjon322 said:
...AISC for dummies...

I know you do not understand what you are saying (I forgive you), but that is quite a flippant and demeaning statement. You are going to have to explain your current education and intents in order to receive good feedback, because based on your OP, the answer is "get a degree in civil/structural engineering". Without that core training, you are heading down a slippery slope; either life-safety or legally-related.

Give us more info, and maybe we can help. [smile]

"It is imperative Cunth doesn't get his hands on those codes."

I understand exactly what I'm saying. Maybe just didn't express it clearly enough. I'll try again

I am a civil engineer, EI but haven't had a chance to do very much structural engineering using the AISC code yet. I was basically looking for a refresher course, tutorial, some brief explanation of getting around the code, AISC design examples, something to help get me familiar with the code again. Possibly something more helpful than the above answers.

Thanks

AISC is constantly having courses, refresher courses and review courses. They're typically webinars, so you don't have any travel expenses. The refresher course (8 sessions, each more complicated than the one before) got in the weeds pretty quickly, but I'm guessing the beginning courses are basic.

the icc test for special inspectors in structural steel, is 100% out of the aisc. you could copy the sample test

master ICC inspector, AWS CWI

I second HyrumZ link... bgstructuralengineering.com

I am a civil EIT, didn't have much steel background and found that site helpful. It's actually easier to use than you think (most of the time).

When I started out, we had the Parker series, "Simplified Mechanics and Strength of Materials", etc.
Those books made a lot of Engineers out of those who were curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back