Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Leave Engineering for IT? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prowler6484

Electrical
Aug 30, 2005
US
I am a telecom engineer and have been offered a position by our IT department. The engineering department I have been working in for 10 years has been fine but I can tell it is a dead end for my career. It seems all of the projects in engineering follow the lines of "this is what we have done for the past 30 years" and the technology does not change; I do work for a utility. This new position offers a flex time environment and the chance to ramp up my skills in new technologies.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience moving from engineering into IT. I'm afraid that the IT managers may not appreciate the amount of work that went into an electrical engineering degree. I'm also working on my MS in cyber security which I'm guessing is why the IT department approached me about this position. Pay is about the same initially, but less in the long run.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I worked in IT for 3 years, not by choice. I hated it. Meetings to talk about the next meeting, managers not understanding what their teams do, etc.
I used CAD, so managers thought "Hey, you use computers...lets move you into IT!". ugh
IT was the first to get hit in layoff.

I'm happy to be back in engineering.

Chris, CSWA
SolidWorks 13
ctopher's home
SolidWorks Legion

Seems like your cyber security would be a good fit for protecting your utility from both external threats like Stuxnet, and internal threats like sloppy users. But, if you're expecting to do original and new work, that sounds less likely. More likely, is just buying existing solutions, and monitoring the system for threats and intrusions.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Any thought of going to work for a consulting office that handles projects for utilities like yours? There, if you are any good, you advance into management where there is more income. However, you need to be a go-getter, as in any job. Also, in time you might open your own office. That also means work, but rewards can be great.

It sounds like the debate is: move to learn new things now, develop new skills now, and potentially make less money in the future vs. stay put and learn nothing new but potentially make more money in the future.

The real question is: with all of the new skills to be learned, why not do it? You could be a very marketable asset with additional usable skills; and your cross-functional experience provides a wider breadth of value.

Your future pay in either case is unpredictable, and always will be. I wouldn't let that be an influencing factor. Value-add is a good thing.

Experience: accumulated knowledge over time.

Talent: the ability to use experience.

Which is more valuable?

ctopher said:
I worked in IT for 3 years, not by choice. I hated it. Meetings to talk about the next meeting, managers not understanding what their teams do, etc.

I enjoyed system administration, Sun Solaris, when I did it. It sounds like I was on a much nicer team. I still run Linux on my computers at home.

One of the things I learned was that you want to be using the system administrator's favourite software. I did an excellent job of setting up and support AutoCAD. I was pretty good with PordWerfect. I was hopeless with Lotus[ ]123.

As an administrator, you will spend you time installing stuff, and fixing user problems. You will learn the word "luser". If this appeals to you, it will be fun. I was a part time administrator. The rest of time I did mechanical design.

--
JHG

After a long, difficult evaluation I declined the IT position. It was truly a good position and it will be a good fit for someone; however, several cyber security positions were opened in the engineering group that will fit my career goals. While investigating the options for both positions I enlightened myself to the politics being played in both groups; it was truly amazing and I have a lot to learn. I appreciate everyone taking time to respond.

Good choice. In my experience, IT always seem to take a hit when the redundancy circus comes to town. Those who are left behind become unable to cope and therefore accused of not being any good. Soul destroying.

- Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back