Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

LED tube retrofit question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmiell

Electrical
Apr 3, 2006
US
We are planning a major retrofit of one of our buildings, a public library. The plan is to retrofit all of the 4' fluorescent fixtures with LED type tubes. I would think the tubes used won't require a driver, so the fluorescent ballast will be removed, and line voltage brought to one end of the fixture, with 120v to each tombstone at one end, and the other end just capped off.

My question is there any concern about the tombstone socket having 120v? I know in the past I have replaced fluorescent lamps and found the sockets broken with the tabs exposed. The plastic could be brittle, broken, or not there. Are the existing sockets listed/approved for this use? Are there new sockets UL listed/approved for this use?

Another question I have, is about the use of the disconnect requirement in the code. I think this requirement is for all linear luminaires, so if there is not one existing, there will have to be one installed at the time of the retrofit, right? I usually install those lightweight pull apart disconnects, but those are inline with the smaller sized wire that is feeding the ballast, not the branch circuit. Thoughts?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the links.

I just read an article about this subject in this month's EC & M magazine. There was a link to DOE's CALiPER study. It is pretty interesting.

Thanks again.

Rick Miell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back