Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LEED Accreditation for Geotechnical Engineers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucknell06

Civil/Environmental
Oct 4, 2005
US
What are some opinions on LEED Accreditation for Geotechnical Engineers? Do you see value in obtaining accredited professional status as a Geotechnical Engineer?

LEED-NC and sustainable design are now part of the curriculum for civil engineers at many four-year schools. I have looked at the practice test for the accreditation exam and feel that I could pass the test with minimal studying. I am not sure if the accreditation will be valuable to my employer as anything other than a marketing tool though....any thoughts?

I can envision a geotechnical engineer being involved with LEED material re-use credits and possibly stormwater or innovative design credits.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good question. I am not sure if it goes much past marketing.

I am not saying that there are not things that a geotech could be involved with though. There are things such as permeable pavement and geothermal systems (I am sure there are others) that we could be familiar with, and that could help a project obtain a LEEDS certification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back