Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Left hand thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcticcatmatt

Mechanical
Mar 1, 2005
US
Is there another way to do a left hand thread other then to just call it out in your detail?

If not, solidworks really needs to add this feature. I model stuff or someone else does, then it gets detailed by someone other then who modeled it and paths don't cross and the note fails to get called out. Then you got a part made with the wrong threads in it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like you're talking about documenting holes as LH thread instead of modeling hem with reversed helixes. Is that right?

Perhaps you can add a note to drawings or thread call-outs from the hole wizard to this effect?

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

I would rename the hole wizard feature in the model to indicate a left hand thread. If you use the cosmetic thread option, I would create a favorite hole in hole wizard with the LH thread. This would give the drafter all the information necessary to properly detail the part.

If the thread is external, I would rename whatever feature created the thread. You could also attach a note to the model.

Also, this is a prime example why drawings need to be checked by the responsible engineer (or designer).
-Shaggy

Arcticcatmatt, is right.
The symbol for LH thread on 2D is the 3/4 circle around the hole but mirrored (the open segment comes in the 3rd quadrant).
Altough not quite often, trapezoidal, circular and multi fillet thread lack destinctive representation.

Daniel Pegas

Thanks for the replies.. Very good points being addressed. But at my workplace, some of the guys hardly know solidworks. They just won't let go to 2D Cadra half the time and it drags them down more then they know.

What I want to implement is that there is an easy way to put in a left hand thread in the holewizard that when they use the hole callout function in the drawing, it will automatically call out left hand thread. That is the easiest way to do it here because 3/4 of these guys just won't learn it if it is any different then the regular way.

Good idea, arcticcatmatt. This would be a good enhancement request.

A possible solution would be to have a blank "text" section in the hole wizard. You could put in whatever special operation desired. In your case, LH thread. Anything in the text area will fill into the 2D drawing when the hole callout is used.

Another, more specific solution to your issue would be to add a check box in the hole wizard that indicates LH thread. When the box is checked, the LH Thread text is added to the hole callout.

I think that would be a very good request. I know to submit a request it has to go thru my VAR correct?

You could create your own Hole Wizard standard (Scott Baugh's web site tells you how to do this) but I believe you would have to hand edit the database table (with Microsoft Access) to get LH into the tap callouts.

Regards,

Regg

I might mess with that in the future. I submitted a few things thru the sw website while I was there. Hopefully they will read them. Thanks for the help all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back