Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

length of subsea flexible lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilippoT

Mechanical
Oct 13, 2013
IT
Is anybody aware of limitation in length for flexible flowline to be installed subsea at 1300 water depth? OD shall be around 12".
thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My guess would be first find one at that sze which can be installed at 1300m depth.

What sort of length are you looking at?

but no, I don't know of any limitation other than installation issues. Flexibles don't like negative pressure so you may need to install in flooded condition.

you get umbilicals and similar installed for tens of kilometers without a joint.

Not a lot to work on here.....

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

the length would be limited by the size of vessel installing it - or the size of the reel/carousel. Multiple lengths can be joined together though.

RandomAxe, theoretically at last, one could install multiple flexible flowline strings, each string conforming to vessel and or reel size limitations, and simply construct each string one after another, connecting the ends, until it was as long as you wanted. Pretty much the same as you do with normal, welded, steel pipe.

Yeah that's what I said, multiple lengths can be joined together? You're going to be limited by the number of reels on the vessel though so would likely have to lay down, transit to collect next length(s) and then recover and connect the end fittings and continue lay.

But 12" at 1300m depth??

That's a large diameter very deep.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Yeah good point that is very deep for recovering after a laydown, maybe they can use a diverless connector or something and make up the connections on the seabed with ROV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back