Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lengthen datum axis

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomFlyer

Aerospace
Feb 26, 2005
US
Using NX4, I created an additional datum axis on a part drawing a certain distance from the original Z-axis. The resulting arrow/line is very short, making it difficult to select for arrays and such. Is there a function in NX4 that allows one to lengthen the axis line as is done with planes for better visibility?

Tom Sidloski
Unison Engine Components

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One workaround until you get to NX5 is to create a cylinder (either a primitive or extrude one) and associate a datum axis to the axis of the cylinder. Now if you lengthen the cylinder, the datum axis will grow longer to match. You can blank the cylinder or put it on an unused layer if you don't want to see it.

To John Baker: I was afeared of that, but the 2 following replies helped a bit. Thanks for your reply.
To cowski: I was ready to create a cylinder as you suggested when the next reply seemed even more viable. I see no reason why that wouldn't work. Thanks for your reply.
To Agriego: That did work, and I thank you.

We have NX5 sitting here gathering dust until our IT department gets off their duffs and installs the newfangled license on our server. NX6 will probably be out before they get to that.
Once again, thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back