Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lens Savers for protecting the focal lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

gewing

Mechanical
Nov 30, 2006
US
Has any one ever used Lens Savers? It basically looks like a clear piece of glass that fits below the focussing lens. It is supposed to protect the bottom of the lens from spatter thus prolonging lens life. I am skeptical but would try it if someone knows that it is a good product. Anyone try this before? See any benefit to the life of the lens or the overall cost savings for lenses?
Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

On the web this thing look like great, but in my case (southwest of France)I never hear that one of my customers was using this kind of product. Sorry ...

The pooh

Do you frequently get spatter from cutting? I never get spatter through the nozzle only on the top of my lens from stray laser dust.

Lenses get damaged about 95%-98% during the piercing process and rarely during the cutting unless the lens has stress fractures due to normal wear and tear. Lens Savers have been around for sometime now but what the salesman doesn't tell you is that it is also taking away laser power during the cutting because you are now going through another optic. Is it worth the expense? Only one way to find out, buy one and see if it works for you.

Good Luck.

When I was a process engineer in the late 80's to early 90's we were welding high end military electronic assemblies (hermetic) with 400 watt Lumonics YAG lasers. We welded Aluminum, Stainless, and Kovar in a glovebox. I used quick change optics which was located about 80- 100mm above the work. The final focusing lens was located just above a water white glass lens protector. After each piece was welded we checked the lens/lens protector assembly for soot or weld splatter. With the lens protector we never had to replace a lens just the cheap protector which I had cut from sheets of water white glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back