Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Let's talk about digital image viewers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

orlorob

Aerospace
Jan 13, 2005
US
I just want to put out a probe for any suggestions on a good versatile image viewer. Any suggestions?

Off the top of my head, I can think of 4 different file formats which Uncle Sam seems to like using as a medium for digital drawings and specs:

(1) .img
(2) .c4
(3) .dwg
(4) .cal

I'm not holding my breath waiting for them to consolidate. The edmics image viewers that the government provides leave a lot to be desired, and don't even work across all four formats.

I haven't had a whole lot of luck identifying a software product that handles all four of these formats, AND is easy to use at the same time, (our secretary isn't going to be learning AutoCad).

So any ideas?

thx,
Rob

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

undewhelming guys - really -

well - if you want something done right...

Here's what I found in terms of viewers that handle all the good formats:
1) Trix Systems Drawing Center 5 - mid range price, lot's of nice features, optional features (costs more) allows for mark up. A doc management module is available, which i didn't test.

2) IGC Brava - Expensive, really snazzy interface. I didn't play with it too much after i found out what they charge. Lots of mods and add ons cost even more. doc mgmt, collaboration etc... pricing is not for the faint of heart. they also plug some digital format that's supposed to rival pdf, (good luck with that).

3) AutoVue by Cimmetry Systems - priced about the same as Drawing center. has a nice format conversion feature. a bunch of different versions available at different price points that include more features, like mark-up, as the price increases.

So these products are tops on my list for now.
I came across one more program called Eroiica, from parallax69 software international. It handles all the formats, but when you download the demo, it's functionality is way too limited, and you have to request advanced permission. Considering that I already had to give them my email once just to get the down load, I didn't bother. This software comes from the czech republic.

-rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back