Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Level measurement in oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdaher

Electrical
Jan 9, 2002
UY
I need to measure the level in a tank with hydrogenated vegetable oil. I have offers with different technologies, radar and ultrasonic. Which technology is more appropriate for this application?

Jorge Fernández Daher

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jorge:

I've used both. Ultrasonic can't compete with a Radar if you place a value on accuracy, repeatability, nil maintenance, and programmability.

The price of Radar units has also come down quite a bit since its inception and is due to refinements in manufacturing and the number of capable competitors.

I've used Radar on storage tanks, reactors (with internals & agitators), process vessels, and in bridles (external location). I've never had a failure in the operation and with the exception of 2 or 3 installations that had to be re-calibrated (my installation contractor mis-handled), I've had 100% success and satisfaction. This instrument has allowed me to erradicate the need for instrument techs to ever have to enter a process vessel or tank. Confined space entry for these techs has always been a safety risk. I wish I could keep everyone out of having to enter vessels - forever!

I hope this experience helps.

Art Montemayor
Spring, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back