Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Level sensor in a closed reactor ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobit

Chemical
Sep 11, 2002
US
Does anyone know what I can use to detect the liquid level inside a closed reactor. There is about 4" dai. sight glass on top of the reactor.

As a result of emmission problem, all the reactors need to be run as closed process. Stochiometric ratio of ingredients is very critical so expected level of each liquid ingredient have to be checked incase of malfunction in the flowmeter. Moreover, for safety reasons there should be a certain amount of volume for vapor/gas in the dome of the reactors. It is this space that I'm trying to estimate/measure.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are many types of level indicators (capacitance, RF, ultrasonic, etc.). However, the old-fashioned
DP cell (pressure transmitter at top and bottom of the reactor) , in my experience, usually works the best.

Thanks rbcoulter for the response. Part of the problem is that there is high tendency of plastic buildup on any object protuding out of the reactor wall. This buildup will interfer with functioning of the instrument. What do you think?

Nuclear level indicators are very popular for cases where you are trying to measure a level in a closed system. I've seen these countless times in HF Alkylation units, CCR units, etc.

They work great (one manufacturer is Texas Nuclear)...and essentially strap on to the outside of the vessel (a source on one side and a detector on the other.

Good luck!

Bob

Depending on the accuracy needed, the wall construction of the vessel, the tolerable response time, and the conditions, thermal sensing could be workable. If it is a single wall vessel, i.e., not jacketed, and a slow reponse to changes is acceptable, then, measuring the outside wall temperature or imaging it with an thermal IR camera will show the liquid level. Since I suspect that the response to at least one of my assumptions/requirements will be NO, I will stop here unless prompted for more. ;-) Jack M. Kleinfeld, P.E. Kleinfeld Technical Services, Inc.
Infrared Thermography, Finite Element Analysis, Process Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back