Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Leveling Resources in MSP 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnobre

Computer
Feb 21, 2008
GB
Hi!
I'm managing a lot of small projects on a small team, sometimes having the need to have a global view of my team allocation.
I thought MSP could help me on the task of controlling overallocation, but I met a couple of unexpected problems...

For me, the most serious is the following:

I have 3 .mpp files: a master project - MP - where all my resources are defined, and 2 project files - P1 and P2 - where i define sets of tasks to be performed by my resources.

Once the tasks are defined in P1, I make it us the MP resource pool, assign the resources to it, and level the resources, so that each one does not have more than 8 h/day.

Then I save P1 and MP. Now I open P2, make it made use of the MP resource pool too, assign the resources to tasks, and now is where my problem begins....
If I try to level the resources, even specifying to preserve the existing allocation, it does not respect the times already allocated for P1, and re-establishes new dates for it!!!
All I wanted is that the existing allocation load and already assigned dates were taken into account; instead of that, the allocation is preserved but most of the times the project dates are also moved.....

Does anyone knows if there is a way of accomplish this?

Thanks in advance
jmn

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

change the priority of the tasks that don't want moved to 1000 which means do not level this task. When you level, select priority as the leveling order. To change all the tasks in an entire project quickly select all tasks, click on the task information icon on the standard toolbar and make the change on the general tab. All selected tasks will be affected. You now can level the second project and not affect the first.

Good luck
E Lehnert, PMP - Certified MS Project trainer

change the priority of the tasks that don't want moved to 1000 which means do not level this task. When you level, select priority as the leveling order. To change all the tasks in an entire project quickly select all tasks, click on the task information icon on the standard toolbar and make the change on the general tab. All selected tasks will be affected. You now can level the second project and not affect the first.

Good luck
E Lehnert, PMP - Certified MS Project trainer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back