Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Levelling course

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJAlberta

Civil/Environmental
Nov 19, 2003
CA
Just wondering about the most effective way to estimate the amount of levelling course required for 200m municipal road (with standard c & g) overlay program.

Asphalt levelling course measured in tonnes.

Thanks a lot.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you have no other options, I might just call your local asphalt company. I find that the guys that actually do it are usually pretty accurate. They may be eager to give you an answer for the possiblity of business.

Good luck.

Here are some estimating factors I've used over the years:

Crushed stone base course: Thickness 6" 8" 10" 12"

Tons/SY 0.33 0.44 0.58 0.66

Asphalt paving: Thickness 1" 2" 3" 4"

Tons/SY 0.055 0.110 0.165 0.220

How much ACP are you putting down? What is the ACP gradation for your level course?

You should be aware that 200 m of road is not much, so unless there is another project nearby, you will be paying a premium to start off with.

How wide is your road and what is the average depth of rutting on your road, as measured by a straightedge.

I have a few formulas and tricks that I use, but they all start with the $/tonne of locally supplied ACP. Where are you located? I am in Alberta and therefore if you are near, it could be very easy to get you some numbers.

KRS Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back