Li-Ion Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomkauf

Electrical
Jan 4, 2007
AU
Hi everyone,
I've been reading this forum for a while, but this is my first post.
My Laptop and Camcorder are both 3years old and have Li-Ion batteries. They were both not used for 6-12months, and now both batteries won't charge. I have a few questions:

1) Is there any way to regenerate Li-Ion Batteries (like deep-cycle charging works for other battery types), or will I have to buy new batteries?

2) Both items were not used that often. How can I prevent the new batteries from dying as well (ie. Use them occasionally or Store them out of the device)? Does not using them for a long time just cause self-discharge, or does that damage the batteries?

3) If I buy a 2nd set of Batteries for the Camcorder (for when they’re not available any more), can I keep one on the shelf and expect to have reasonably good Life left? And would storing them Charged or Discharged be better?

4) Would Li-Ion Batteries last longer if I almost fully discharge them before recharging? Or do the prefer top-up charging?

I know it’s a lot of questions, but thank you so much for your help in advance.
Tom [thumbsup2]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can at least answer questions 3 and 4. Li-ion batteries last longest when not fully discharged. Your best bet is to rotate the 2 batteries for the camcorder. Use 1 until it has about 25% life left then switch to the other.

Dave Hyman
Mechanical Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back