Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Library Features

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneeyedwitchdoctor

Mechanical
Dec 11, 2007
NO
I have created a simple revolved feature, however when I insert it into a part it can only be orientated one way. I imagine that there will be an easy fix for this, but unfortunately I cannot find it. To create the library feature I used the OD of the base cylinder as a reference, then also used the end face edges as references in my sketch.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It probably has something to do with the sketch the feature is created from. There are different ways to deal with it...you could RMB->edit sketch plane, or edit the sketch. You could edit the library part and put in a locating sketch. Search the help files for library parts...

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Certified DriveWorks AE
Dell M90, Core2 Duo
4GB RAM
Nvidia 3500M

The most common mistake when creating these is that the sketches are created using vertical and horizontal constraints. Always use perpendicular and parallel wherever possible.

Remember...
[navy]"If you don't use your head,[/navy] [idea]
[navy]your going to have to use your feet."[/navy]

Here is a screen grab of my sketch to see if this can shed some more light on the matter, as I tried playing around with relations etc, to no avail. The basic crux of the matter if that the pin I am trying to make a library feature has to be able to flip depending on which side of my sketch I want it on (imagine looking at the front plane - well I might need to put it on the right hand or left hand side of the base part). My library feature parts cannot "flip" whereas ones pre-installed can ?!?!?! :-(
I think that when I choose one edge as a reference (if it is the correct one) then the sketch is cut from the material, however, if I chose the other end then the sketch is being revolved thru thin air. This is only my guess so any other ideas are appreciated.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2b86ccc0-55eb-4ff3-bc67-9ef77f3026a7&file=screen_grab.docx
That file was created in a newer version of Word than I have. Can you repost just a simple screenshot (jpg, bmp, etc) without using Word? The actual SW file would be even better.

[cheers]

oneeyed,

Check this thread559-191263, as meintsi suggested, try to eliminate all refernces to horizontal, vertical, even the origin and planes, the less the better.

mncad

I think that one of the problems is that a Library Feature (LF) cannot include the base (first) feature if it is to be added to another part which already has a base feature of its own. Yours appears to include the base feature it was created from.

[cheers]

As nmcad said above, less is better and looking at your file your are over constrained.

Loose the second edge reference and replace with a dimension. Then it should be able to flip.

Also remove the two fillets and re-add them as sketch fillets for a variety of reasons.

Remember...
[navy]"If you don't use your head,[/navy] [idea]
[navy]your going to have to use your feet."[/navy]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back