Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Library

Status
Not open for further replies.

bd9607

Structural
Oct 7, 2008
US
Am I missing something here? If I add a path for standard parts as a library I then cant modify any of those parts in the Library (error of part not checked out to me)? Otherwise remove the library path and have to manually path each part that isn't directly underneath that project folder?

Am I doing something wrong? That seems like a huge pain in the ass. Everything changes, even libraries, and you should be able to modify parts in one. Or how else do you call in parts that aren't in the project folder besides getting prompted each time you open an assembly.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thats how it works in Inventor.. Libraries are for stuff that shouldn't change (the books already written in stone)..

Don't use it like you are or you can always create another project to allow editing of those files.

I ONLY have "surface textures", "bumpmaps", and "punches" folders under libraries.

We try to interchange our parts as much as possible. But at times even a 'standard' part needs revisions. I set a project up for the folder containing these standard parts. I had to close my current project and change projects and make the changes to the parts. Not that big of a deal was hoping for a better way so I can in place edit these parts. I do understand now though what you mean mcgyvr, nice analogy.

Just don't put the link in libraries then you don't have to worry about changing projects.
All of our "standard" parts are in subfolders of a main "cadfiles" folder. I just made my "project location"
the cadfiles folder and thats it..

The Libraries section is for stuff that doesn't change.. You don't have to use it if you don't want to..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back