Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Life as a Structural Engineer 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

brihanala78

Automotive
Oct 31, 2020
CA
I am 3 years through my civil engineering degree and am currently working a co-op term for a municipal consultant company. Am enjoying it so far, but my “passion” going into studies was structural engineering. As much as I like municipal work (and it’s forever need in this world) I could see myself getting less interested as the years go on. I want to try and obtain my next co-op/EIT position at a structural consultant firm.

Any stories/tips/advice from structural consultants? Would be interested in how your average days go (at all experience levels).

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wrong forum.

Of you are actually a real person delete this and re post in how to improve forum.

I won't hold my breath.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

The lifestyle of structural engineers is definitely better than the other disciplines.
Imagine Alice in Wonderland.. You can make lots of money with working least. You live in a villa or condo. You can be active member of sport clubs, enjoy outings with your friends, and moreover you can have more time with your family..

Choose structural engineering and enjoy the life..[colorface]

HTURKAK said:
The lifestyle of structural engineers is definitely better than the other disciplines.
Imagine Alice in Wonderland.. You can make lots of money with working least. You live in a villa or condo. You can be active member of sport clubs, enjoy outings with your friends, and moreover you can have more time with your family..

Choose structural engineering and enjoy the life..colorface

Our biggest problem at the moment is running out of parking space for our ferraris...Pls help!

>Our biggest problem at the moment is running out of parking space for our ferraris...Pls help!

You and your Ferraris. Not enough room for my Porsches.../

I got the same problem and decided to buy a large villa having basement garage some years ago... There is parking space for a lot cars...

2013 ?!? Hold the phone... are some structural engineers driving cars younger than their EIT's? I must be doing it wrong; my 2005 Matrix still parks outdoors.

In broad strokes:

1) At the bottom, I found the "doing" of structural engineering to be an odd mix of exhilaration and tedium. With the introduction of software, it's a blend of god-like behavioral exploration and the playing of a super boring version of Minecraft. Many find the pace a bit grueling. It can be a field replete with intellectually stimulating, arcane, "beyond college" challenges but that generally requires a lot of pro-bono, after hours effort.

2) In the middle it's a game of project management and not much different from project management in any number of other fields. Stick to the budget, stick to the schedule, keep quality high enough that you don't kill anybody, keep your boss happy enough that you keep moving forward in your career, keep your minions happy enough that they keep your projects moving forward and keep moving forward in their careers. You'll spend a lot of time coordinating your efforts with interesting folks from the other engineering disciplines that are involved in your projects.

3) At the top, it's a game of sales, business administration, and very high level project management not much different from top tier positions in other fields. Be a consistent, profit Rockstar. Make sure that your local reputation is such that your firm has to be concerned that your high value clients would leave with you if you left. Help the mid-level project managers be successful and lead good lives rather than crumble under the intense pressure from both above and below in the org chart.

At all levels, it will be satisfying and pay dividends to make contributions to the field outside of your project work by way of mentoring, committee work, adding to the body of knowledge, etc. Structural engineering is interesting work and, at worst, a decent living. The "doing" of structural engineering pays little. Successful project management pays reasonably well, as in any field. Successful sales pays very well, as in any field.

C01_jhky5x.jpg

KootK said:
The "doing" of structural engineering pays little. Successful project management pays reasonably well, as in any field. Successful sales pays very well, as in any field.

Therein lies the issue for me. Personally I love the "doing" of structural engineering. I do not have an appetite for project management or sales. But I feel as though I will never have the opportunity to make the 'big bucks' without going down that path.

If only technical knowledge translated to profit, most of us would be rich.

Between now and when you get your next Co-Op gig, practice figuring out "load paths" of all the structures you come in direct contact with. Of all the things structural engineers have to learn, my personal opinion is that load paths are the most important. The sooner you start learning them, the better.

I guess the simple truth of it is this: technical prowess is not all that hard to come by. Lots of smart people graduate every year, and many of them still struggle to find jobs in structural engineering. So basic supply and demand dictates that technically proficient structural engineers won't be able to demand much money on the open market on that basis alone. You're just another horse in the stable.

Ability to sell a service also isn't all that hard, but takes a certain finesse that has plenty of value. The thing is, most people aren't willing to buy engineering services from somebody who knows nothing about engineering. They want to know the person who's going to oversee and be responsible for the project. So if you can combine your engineering knowledge with the ability to sell, you just sprouted a unicorn's horn. For what it's worth, I've found that the ability to "sell" is little more than the ability to talk to another human being and look them in the eye. Also the ability to say "I'm the guy you're looking for to solve that problem." If you can do those three things, you're good.

If you can throw in solid project management and personnel management, you can write your own ticket.

More skills = more money. Diversity of applicable skills adds orders of magnitude to the equation.

Ditto on the value of being able to manage, salesmanship, and communicating with Clients. If a potential Client likes you professionally, they will most likely hire you. The more Clients like you, the more you add value to the firm. In the past, the following were the top 2 things Client evaluated when choosing professional services per some authority I do not recall.
[ol 1]
[li]Your ability to understand their "Needs and Wants". (There is a difference)[/li]
[li]You ability to solve their problem or achieve their goal.[/li]
[/ol]

Notice, neither one requires math.

computers and fresh graduates do all the math. mid level guys do the sanity checks. Senior level guys manage the circus.

& for some reason, there is a big lack of guys in the middle and severe deficit of guys at the top. I reckon most get a taste of level one & dont want to put in the sweat to get to level 2 or 3.

and the ones who make it to L2 are poached for roles in construction, sales, or PM. also a lot of attrition of guys at L2 who hang their own shingle.

Just to offer a different career path. I've worked for DoD for 40 years, specifically the Air Force as a GS-12 in the Civil Engineering squadron. I've designed and project managed all sorts of projects, from new buildings to new roads and repairs to said structures. Someone in college should consider the Palace Acquire program. You're not going to get rich (which doesn't seem to be possible anyway) but you're only required to work 40 hours a week (you can work overtime and weekends, but it's up to you). At my level, I get 30 days paid leave that I can take pretty much any time I want. I accrue sick leave monthly (I have over 2000 hours right now). Job security is the biggest draw. Unless they do a RIF action, or you actually kill someone and get caught in the act, it's virtually impossible to get fired. We have had several engineers from various disciplines leave private practice firms to come work in our office (in fact, we're waiting on a new electrical to arrive this month). The best analogy would be working for a public works department that is also the regional building office. Heck, you don't even need to be registered. Out of the six engineers/architects that are in my office, only three of us are registered (just because it was a career goal, not a requirement to work in DoD).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back