Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lifting Precast Concrete Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

desm

Civil/Environmental
Feb 6, 2003
GB
I am designing some precast reinforced concrete slabs. When the slab is lifted, it can be analysed as a simply-supported beam with the UDL provided by the self-weight of the beam and the supports provided by the lifting points. I want to apply a partial factor of safety to the UDL value, for bad lifting, but can't find any guidance on this. BS 8110-1:1997 clause 2.4.4.2 says FOS should be 1.3 for concrete in flexure due to effects of exceptional loads or localised damage. Is this the FOS I should be using?

Desm

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suggest you visit the PCI website and look for a PCI design manual.

Their manuals are very thorough and have plenty of deatails and expamples of all types of precast construction examples and details.

Good luck,

Daniel

Hi, I work as a Production Engineer in Precast - we normally calculate the loads as normal, then if you look in a product brochure by manufacturers such as Halfen-Frimeda they will list the various factors for demoulding adhesion, crane types, transport factors etc.....

Hope this helps

If you are going to need embedded lifting hardware for the precast units check out Dayton-Superior Co.'s website and catalog. They manufacture a large selection of hardware for precast concrete embeddments and their technical department could also be a big help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back