Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Light Gage Wall Panels with "Grout Cup" Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

LUGuy

Structural
Dec 17, 2003
US
I am providing unrequested "feedback" from a wall panel manufacturer on a connection that they consider routine and acceptable. They have light gage framed shop assembled wall panels that typically measure 8' x 20' or larger. One connection they occasionally use is a "grout cup" to develop a blind connection. This would occur when facing a shear wall with a panel, for example.

The detail goes something like: L4x3 spanning between two adjacent panel studs with one hole drilled through the horizontal leg and a nut welded at the bottom of the hole. A grade 5 bolt is then threaded down through the nut to create a "pin". The "pin" of the panel is then set into a "cup" (say 2" dia pipe x 2" long) welded to the top face of a horizontal leg of structural angle pre-mounted to the shear wall. There are 2-4 such connections per panel, depending on the situation.

The pin can be threaded up and down and by trial and error, the correct elevation of the panel can be achieved. To "lock" the connection in place, the "cup" is filled with grout before the panel is set into place.

When it is all done, all dead load is transferred through the welded nut to the bolt threads and down through the tip of the bolt onto the wall angle. The wind and seismic loads are taken by the bolt pushing against the grout, which is confined by the cup.

I find this connection technically unacceptable if for no other reason than because I can't get comfortable with grout being an essential part of a structural connection.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? If my description makes sense, would you feel comfortable with it?

MiscMetals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back