Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Light weight assembly for 3D layout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatCouture

Mechanical
Jun 6, 2003
CA
Hi

I have a detailled assembly of a water tank, and now I need to place it in a 3D layout where there will be 16 of them.

I know that I can use this exact assembly in my 3D layout but it will cause SE to be much slower.

I have never done that kind of 3D layout before so my first approach would be to insert "part copy" in a part so that I can rebuild only the exterior faces of the tank, in order to build a representation of the space filled by the tank in my room.

I am pretty sure that there's other way of doing this so I would like to have some guidance on this.

Thanks in advance

Patrick

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

In V17, you can create a component image (2D view(s) automatically created by projecting 3D edges on a plane) and then use this "image" as a virtual component using the command "virtual component structure editor" : you can insert it 16 times. In an assembly sketch, you will be able to position the 16 occurences using RMB on the virtual component in the edge bar, cmd "position virtual component". The last step will be to "publish" those components to replace the 2D image by the actual assembly.

Fred

Fred

Thanks for the response but I forgot to mention that I'm using V16.

I'll remember that if I ever get the chance to upgrade.

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back