Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Lighting Fixture Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

anitharts

Electrical
Feb 1, 2024
ID
Dear all. I have task to calculate the quantity of lighting fixture in new chemical plant. My plan is to proceed it with this below formula.
N = (E*A)/(F*U*M)
N : number of lights required for lighting equipment (unit)
E : required lux total (lx)
A : area of illuminated surface (m2)
F : lumen per light source (lm)
U : Utilization factor
M : Maintenance factor.
My understanding is that value of F and U are get from manufacture specification document like catalog or datasheet. The problem is about value of utilization factor. I can not find U value in catalog or datasheet of the selected fixture. Do you have any advise how to proceed calculation in this situation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Utilization factor is a measure of how well light fixtures, or luminaires, distribute light in a space. It's calculated by dividing the total lumens received on a working plane by the total lumens emitted by the light source.

As a guess - since illumination isn't what I normally do - you might be able to figure it out from some of your other "geometry" if you compare it to how the luminaire emits light (in terms of direction). For example - if the light emits a hemisphere and the work table is roughly on a 60 degree angle relative to the "straight down" line from the light, how much light does it actually get ... compared to if the light source is directly above the work surface?

Converting energy to motion for more than half a century

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back