Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lightning Grounding and Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivana24

Mechanical
Oct 4, 2007
RS
Around 10 photovoltaic solar panels fixed on AL structure is installed ground loop. Another ground loop is 100ft away around control house where are installed AC and DC O/C and surge protection.
These two loops are connected with two conductors creating third loop.
My manager is suggesting :
1. Connect to the first ground loop two lightning rods
2. Connect to the same ground loop - common bonding bus where are connected (a) metal supports of solar panels (b) metal PV solar frames (c) metal protection boxes ( for surge protective devices).
3. Create another common bonding bus at control house where are coonected main surge protective devices

Can I mix lightning protection and bonding on that way. Can I create a common point for solar panel metal supports and SPD - surge protection device metal boxes before I go to the grounding.
My answar is NOT. Maybe I am wrong

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my opinion, you may bond all grounding means together as per NFPA 2011:
chapter 4.13 and 4.14.
4.14 Common Grounding.
4.14.1 General. All grounding media and buried metallic conductors that can assist in providing a path for lightning currents in or on a structure shall be interconnected to provide a common ground potential.
4.14.1.1 This interconnection shall include lightning protection, electric service, communications, and antenna system grounds, as well as underground metallic piping systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back