Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lightning protection for PV installations

Status
Not open for further replies.

magoo2

Electrical
May 17, 2006
US
Do they normally install a lightning rod system for PV installations? I've never heard it mentioned but we've in a moderate area as far as lightning activity and it seems like a good idea to me.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bond everything to ground. Bond all panels with properly-sized conductors, compatible lugs and fasteners. There is a supplement to the NEC code that tailors the procedure to PV arrays that you can find on the internet for free. I think it comes from Sandia Labs, the engineer's name would be John Wiles.

Steven Fahey, CET

I agree that bonding is necessary. I'm just wondering if we need to attach lightning rods every 20 ft or so. After all you have a positive terminal that will be in the 300-400 V range above ground. These will be roof mounted panels and the high end is in a fixed arrangement about 4 ft higher than the low end (which is basically on the roof). They will be 500 kW to 1 MW installations.

Maybe it's just MOV protection that I need to worry about?

Thanks for the reference. I'll have to check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back