Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lightning Shielding Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiribanda

Electrical
May 6, 2003
CA
Hi,

Can any member please throw some light on few leading software program(s) used for "Designing Lightning Shielding Systems for Outdoor Substations".

Thnaks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IEEE Std 998-1996 IEEE Guide for Direct Lightning Stroke Shielding of Substations references

A Computer Program for Designing the Lightning Shielding Systems of Substations, Mousa, A.M., IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Jan. 1991

Abstract
A computer program is presented for designing the shielding systems of substations. The program is based on the most up-to-date version of the electrogeometric model (EGM). The calculation method is made free from the conservatism of some earlier versions of the EGM by introducing rational revisions. Shielding designs for typical layouts are also presented.

I don't know if it is commercially available.

SES offers a program SESShield
This is partly based on the Mousa program. I've used an earlier version and find it somewhat restrictive on what layouts can be analyzed. I prefer to use the rolling sphere method and use Mathcad to analyze different layouts. This is much more flexible, but difficult. You can determine areas protected by non-parallel shield wires, three masts of different heights, as well as the more simple configurations analyzed in IEEE Std 998.

Hello Kiribanda

If you are designing lightning shielding systems for outdoor substations in accordance with the IEC standard, then you need the new British standard BS EN 62305 for protection against lightning.

For your information BS EN 62305 WILL replace BS 6651 in September 2008. Currently the two standards are running in parallel with one another and therefore our information on BS 6651 and software produced for this standard can still be used at this time.

This new standard has a significant impact on all those involved in the design and installation of lightning protection on structures.

The vendor, Furse StrikeRisk Software Version 4.0 should prove invaluable to those of you involved in risk assessment calculations. I tried this software and the calculation results is acceptable to our clients in the oil and gas industry.

To get the free of charge program, go to Technical and fill the form.

Regards,
Bilegan

Murphy's Law - If anything can go wrong..it will.

Two programs for lightning protection:

SES (Safe Engineering Services) has a module called SES Shield

AGC (Advanced Grounding Concepts) has a program called WINIGS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back