Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Likely damage mechanism on a boiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ondas

Mechanical
Apr 26, 2022
KZ
I have got a hot water boiler made out of CS, there's a firebox where fuel is ignited and burned off and hot gas travels through a series of tube around the firebox. There's glycol water mix on the shell side (20C in and 70C out). Operating temp is around 70 degrees C and 5 barg. What are the most likely corrosion mechanisms I could get in either of those two components?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depends on the fuel and whether the flue exhaust temperature is above or below condensation temp.

No free water, gen very little corrosion but poor efficiency.

Not enough details.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Glycol isn't a corrosion inhibitor so you'll need to treat your water side with inhibitors.

On the fire side, the system is typically designed so that the flue temperature maintains s minimum of 250°F. Frequent starts and stops will complicate this.

On hot side you will be dependent on fluel composition and hot flue gas temperature, on water side glycol and water mix composition
let us know more...

regards

Fuel gas is mainly methane (around 75%wt and 15% ethane), water side is ethylene glycol+water (45%wt) mixture. Operating temperature is 70 as design temp is 90 degrees C.

What's Flue gas exit temperature?
What's in the other 10% of the fuel?
Design temp is your water side.

Why glycol? Is it in danger of freezing?

As per Tug, you will deinitely need to add a corrosion inhibitor to the glycol-water mixture. I have seen severe corrosion of carbon steel in similar circumstances when corrosion inhibitor was not properly maintained.

So the questions are:

What is the flue gas exhaust temperature - i.e. does the flue gas create steam on exit (condensing boiler) or not?
What else is in the feed gas missing 10%? Any H2S or SO2?
How often does it fire?
Is the water a closed system (seems likely) or once through?
Is there anything else in the water ( small amount of Corrosion Inhibitor?)

The OP never said there was an actual problem, just asked the too vague question what were the most likely failure mechanisms. I would like to point them to ASM Handbook Volume 11A Analysis and Prevention of Component and Equipment Failures to the chapter "Failures of Boilers and Related Equipment" on page 662.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back