Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limit of Disturbance or Limit of Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

engineeringh2o

Civil/Environmental
Sep 24, 2003
US
I am debating with a fellow engineer which term is appropriate to use. In my experience as a site design engineer, I have seen "limit of disturbance (LOD)" or "limit of clearance (LOC)" used to describe the area in which a contractor may operate. In his experience as a mining engineer, he has seen the phrase “limits of work”.

We are operating in the mid-Atlantic region of the US.

I would like to know if one phrase is more common or standard than the other.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We usually use limit of disturbance because the other two limits you mention could be taken as more lenient limits. Limit of disturbance gives me the idea that nothing for any reason what so ever will be disturbed beyond that boundary which is generally established and staked by an accurate field survey. This is particularily true concerning grading limits at blue line streams, contaminated areas, or at property lines. You could be fined, find the need to be decontaminated, or have a property owner taking shots at you if you cross those limits. We have used the other two limits you mention but I suppose their usage is situational and a good cover all would always be limit of disturbance. At least thats my opinion.

In PA, USA (also in the mid-Atlantic region of the US), sam is correct on Limits of Disturbance. It is a legally binding delineation - like a wetlands delineation - to be field marked during stakeout. I've only ever seen it used in the civil field. It is strictly a regulatory term.

I disagree with sam on the leniency implied in "Limits of Work". It is equally legally binding, but it is a contractual term. I have seen it in all fields. It is a graphic delineation of what the contractor must supply...exactly like a Scope of Deliverables is in the written contract. For example, if your P&ID has the check valve on a run of piping delineated within the Limits of Work, and I don't supply it, you can sue me for it and win.

I've never seen or heard of Limits of Clearance, but it sounds like it means LofD.

Remember: The Chinese ideogram for “crisis” is comprised of the characters for “danger” and “opportunity.”
-Steve

I've seen all the terms mentioned used. It seems to be a preference of the engineering firm/organization you are working for. Currently, the place I work at used "grading limits" and easement lines to note limits of disturbance. Our specs state that despite what "grading limits" are shown on the plans, the contractor shall grade to the elevations shown, baring going beyond easement lines.

I've seen all the above terms used except LoD. I don't think the term used makes much difference IF it is clearly defined and shown on the plans and in the specs. Know what you want, tell them what you want, show them what you want, remind them what you want and generally you'll get what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back